Spare tire?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RRTEC

Spare tire?

Post by RRTEC »

My 65 doesn't have a spare tire. Where was it originally stored? Mine is a step side there is no indentation on the fender like I have seen on some. There is no mount under the truck. What do you guys do? I have towing on my insurance plan but would like to carry a spare without taking up bed space.
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: Spare tire?

Post by unibody madness »

sounds like you need an under bed spare tire carrier or try and find a spare tire notched fender and tire carrier if you put the tank out back.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
RRTEC

Post by RRTEC »

I'm thinking of running a mid 90's f150 tank, they run on one side and not too far back. Hopefully I can add a tire carrier under there too.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I have seen spare tires mounted on the front bumper of campers.
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

A spare tire was an OPTION for our Slicks when purchased new in '61-'66.

IF the truck was ordered with an optional spare, the usual location was under the bed at the rear. I never cared for that location as it seemed to collect mud, stones, etc. Folks who do have the under bed mount should remove the spare at least annually to clean the mount and tire, check the tire for damage and air pressure and lubricate the mount pivot points.

An optional location on Stylesides was a bracket that allowed the spare to be mounted vertically inside the bed, usually seen on the left (drivers) side, just behind the cab. I never cared for that location because it seemed to take up precious box space.

Flaresides (like you have OP) were available with another option: Spare could mounted on the left...outside of the bed using a bracket, along with the left rear fender that had a cut-out for tire clearance.

BarnieTrk 8)

P.S.
Regarding mounting the tire on the front bumper - in front of the grill, as 64f100 indicated, be careful to watch the temperature gauge as it may restrict the air flow through the radiator enough to prevent proper cooling....AND it's a LARGE PIA when trying to do service work under the hood! :cussing:
RRTEC

Post by RRTEC »

I hate to be a form over function kind of guy, but the only one that makes sense for me is under the bed. I really don't want to be looking at it.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Mine was originally up front. Does not fair as well making a left turn with a Gooseneck.

Chris