What the heck.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Flatiron7
United States of America

What the heck.

Post by Flatiron7 »

While replacing the timing gear set on my 352, I dropped a bolt. Of course it went right into the oil pan. While trying to fish it out with a flex neck magnet, I found this first. Yes, I got the lost bolt. The bolt has a lot of wear on one side. I have driven this truck over 25,000 mile in the last 3-1/2 years. I showed this to a ford guy at the auto parts store, he said it is a Rod Bolt. Kinds of makes me wander what else is in there.
Attachments
It is worn from sliding around in the oil pan
It is worn from sliding around in the oil pan
IMG_0236.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 3386 times
Looks like this never had a nut run down on it
Looks like this never had a nut run down on it
IMG_0237.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 3386 times
I was told this is a rod bolt
I was told this is a rod bolt
IMG_0238.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 3386 times
shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: What the heck.

Post by shipwrecked »

def a rod bolt. I had a hell of a time cutting one off a few months ago without messing up the cap.

Did you drop the pan yet/?
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Flatiron7
United States of America

Post by Flatiron7 »

No, its has run good for the last 25,000 miles, Still runs good not going to mess with it.
RRTEC

Post by RRTEC »

Flatiron7 wrote:No, its has run good for the last 25,000 miles, Still runs good not going to mess with it.
Lol!! That's one route to take. The pans aren't that hard to drop are they? One of your rods is held on by one bolt right now... What happens when the other one comes off??
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Time to pull the pan.

Nic
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Probably not what you want to hear, but I would be concerned about the rod itself! Good thing is that you caught it before major catastrophe! Maybe your engine builder is a practical joker, or just overlooked that extra old rod bolt in the pan! Wonder if the nut is in there?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Toyz wrote:Probably not what you want to hear, but I would be concerned about the rod itself! Good thing is that you caught it before major catastrophe! Maybe your engine builder is a practical joker, or just overlooked that extra old rod bolt in the pan! Wonder if the nut is in there?
Paul
yep
if it has fallen in it may run fine for a long time until one day you acellerate just right, maybe passing another car, and the cap comes loose breaking the other bolt and throwing the cap thru the block or pan, then its all junk.
best have a look see before then.
if its an extra, no loss except time and gasket and oil.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Flatiron7
United States of America

Post by Flatiron7 »

I agree, it would be a good idea to pull the oil pan for an inspection. Also to see there's anything else in there. Hopefully it will cool down to the low 90's later this week.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Looks beat a little on top. May be left overs from an earlier rod break patch up. I am interested to see what it looks like once pan is off. That would be something if a single factory rod bolt held the cap and oil pressure by it's self. The least damage I have ever had from a broken rod bolt was a windowed oil pan and rail.
Chris
robertrpeak

Post by robertrpeak »

Come on man, can't you see we're all on the edge of our seats :wink: Take pics also!!!

Robert
Flatiron7
United States of America

Post by Flatiron7 »

Thursday night, I pulled off the oil pan. Pretty clean inside for 50 years old. No broken rods , bolts or missing parts. checked clearance on a couple bearings, showing some wear. order new bearings. Picked them up today. The new ones don't have the oil holes at the edge opposite of the tang, not sure if this is right??? Any help on this matter. Thanks
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Flatiron7 wrote:Thursday night, I pulled off the oil pan. Pretty clean inside for 50 years old. No broken rods , bolts or missing parts. checked clearance on a couple bearings, showing some wear. order new bearings. Picked them up today. The new ones don't have the oil holes at the edge opposite of the tang, not sure if this is right??? Any help on this matter. Thanks
Clevite has the v cut out opposite of tang. Did you buy Ford or Perfect Circle?
Chris
Flatiron7
United States of America

Post by Flatiron7 »

I bought the Perfect Circle Brand. Would like to know if they are OK to use without the "V" cut in them?
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Flatiron7 wrote:I bought the Perfect Circle Brand. Would like to know if they are OK to use without the "V" cut in them?
I don't have any in front of me to compare but it either is there to hold a pocket of oil or as part of the crushing process. On that side your bearing will taper off across the top toward the rod to crush in place.
Chris