Throttle cable - 66 f100

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

orangeRcode
United States of America

Throttle cable - 66 f100

Post by orangeRcode »

I recently installed an Edelbrock performer intake and 4 barrel carb. The stock throttle cable appears to be too short. The carb sits much higher on the new intake so the alignment is off from the stock location as well. What have you used when going with a new intake and 4 barrel on a 352? She has a manual trans so a kickdown is not needed. Description and pics would be helpful. Many thanks.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Throttle cable - 66 f100

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Rob

had the same issue with the 6cyl and clifford intake
i used a cable from a late 80s ford truck. and i might have had to drill and cut the pedal arm end for the ball end of the cable( cut small opening for cable to fit thru to hole)
when i was done it worked fine
and the cable was 20 years newer with a built in spring on the carb end
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Good info.

Tonight is my last night here at the plant. Will be off to my new job and days only next week. I hope to have some time to work on it again then. Thanks
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Edelbrock SP2P-390. I fixed mine with a spacer. The metal sleeve extended past the bracket clamp so wrapped the cable with emory cloth, rough side in, to keep cable in place. Make sure your cable is in near perfect alignment with the carb. If not it will crack the plastic off exposing the cable. The newer cable sounds more forgiving than original.

Chris
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

NAPA has all kinds of cables. I just borrowed their catalog to fins one with the correct length.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Good info guys. Thanks
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

chris401 wrote:Edelbrock SP2P-390. I fixed mine with a spacer. The metal sleeve extended past the bracket clamp so wrapped the cable with emory cloth, rough side in, to keep cable in place. Make sure your cable is in near perfect alignment with the carb. If not it will crack the plastic off exposing the cable. The newer cable sounds more forgiving than original.

Chris, can you please send me a few more pics of the spacer?
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

This week end.
Chris
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

LOKAR makes several universal throttles, you buy the closest (over length) to what you need & trim it. If you are going for the resto look, you would choose the black cable housing, if you want to Bling it up, you would go with the braided steel cable housing.......

http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/thrott ... ables.html
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

chris401 wrote:This week end.
If the cable is not the right height and angle the plastic shroud will be in a bind at wide open throttle, causing it to break and expose the cable. I didn't readjust when I added the extra 1 1/8" spacer. Now the cable needs replaced.

Chris
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Thanks for the pics Chris. I've got my measurements made up for an adaptor block. Need to try and locate the return spring from the stock carb.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I actually think one time kid and I got some plastic coated cable made for picture hanging. Then we soldered ends on it and ran it thru the old housing. In Rc airplanes this is a pretty standard way we do throttles...