hood hinge nut

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

hood hinge nut

Post by shipwrecked »

Alright. How can I replace the hood hinge nut that got broken when I took the hood hinge out?
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
64 f100

Re: hood hinge nut

Post by 64 f100 »

Not easily replaced. Do you still have the original nut? I've welded those in place before. You would first have to manage to get the nut back into the hole, or one like it. Those nuts can be accessed thru the vent hole if I remember correctly. I have taken one of the old square nuts and drilled holes on both sides of the hole where the nut goes, and had some one screw the bolt into the nut from the cow side. Then weld the nut where I drilled the two holes on either side. , while holding the bolt and nut in place from the cowl side. Plan on running a tap thru the hole afterward. I suggest doing that on all the rest of the holes also. Any that are loose weld in place.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

There are several products to install nuts in sheet metal. The one I use is called Keenserts. It is an easy repair and easily removed if damaged.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

April: Depending on the I.D. of that hole, a Rivnut would be my weapon of choice:)

**But you will need to dolly the inner portion that has been distorted flat (where it's inset), which might be a two person job??

***There are ways to pull them up tight that do not require an expensive tool.

EDIT: **Forgot to mention, don't waste your time with the aluminum Rivnuts, they're SHYTE!
...AND, the $20.00 Install tools, which work OK with the Aluminum Rivnuts, don't hold up to the steel Rivnuts.
The lowbuck way to pull up the rivnuts: It's pretty simple, a bolt of the same thread size as the rivnut, plus a nut one size bigger, and a couple of flatwashers. Take the bolt, add the first flatwasher directly under the head of the bolt, followed by the oversized nut, then the second washer, and lastly, you thread the rivnut onto the bolt.
Place the rivnut into the hole (which you have drilled to juuuuust fit the rivnut), then place a wrench on the oversize nut , and a ratchet wrench, or a ratchet & socket onto the bolt head. As you tighten up the bolt, it will pull up the rivnut......
Last edited by jamesdfo on August 14, 2016, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Years ago I tried to find a compression nut and tool that large and had no luck, possibly you can now. I think I put the right size nut on a long bolt.. pulled it up against the tin, and welded it in place.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i cheated

i took a hood bolt with the turned down end, wrapped a stainless tie wire around it and fed it thru the hole from the center oval cowl opening . after the nut was started on the bolt i pulled the wire and used vise grips on the nub end and tightened it down

only a purist would notice
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Guess I'm lucky the bolt just broke off. I had to drill and tap 2 on my hood but the nut stayed in place.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

i might have the original nut still- somewhere in the pile o parts I have upstairs.

The jam nut is a good idea. I also thought about welding a fender washer to a nut, then welding the fender washer to the inside of the cowl- drill a couple holes in the cowl so i can weld through to the washer.

I will look into this and see what I can come up with.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
RRTEC

Post by RRTEC »

I've used "nutserts" with good luck