Rotisserie Rental

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Rotisserie Rental

Post by Gritsngumbo »

I have a nice rotisserie that I purchased a few years ago for work on my Slicks. The unit was built by Accessible Systems in Tennessee. It’s a well-built, well-engineered unit with beautiful welds. The owner at the time worked with me to design and build brackets specifically for the Slick trucks. I have both frame and body mounts. I had all the pieces powder coated locally. I put my 63 Uni on it and turned it on its side and discovered that the torque box rot was more than I was capable of or willing to deal with. After moving my shop to a new-to-me shop on our three acres, Life has gotten in the way and I have not done anything much with my trucks since. I have recently gotten myself interested once again, but my efforts will be going toward installing the upgrades I had planned for the Uni on my 64 F100 Short bed. I realize that at my age I will probably never work on a project that would require a rotisserie. So I decided I would sell it.

In researching what rotisserie selling prices from private owners on Craigslist, I happened across a guy in upstate New York who is renting out his home-made rotisserie to area auto hobbyists on a monthly basis. I contacted him for more information and he told me he has his booked through April of next year. He gets a $500 deposit cash or credit card, a signed contract/agreement, and charges $100 per month for the time it is rented. When the unit is returned in good condition, the deposit is returned.

I think there are enough people in this area that would need a rotisserie but can’t afford to buy one or who only need one for one project. I would have available brackets for most any car or truck (I’ll need to invest another $200 to have brackets for additional vehicles made).

I’m posting this to get feedback from the group. The only downside I can foresee is that someone can run off with my rotisserie. The upside is that I will be getting a little income off the unit to recoup my investment and I will still have my rotisserie in the event I decide I need it.

What am I missing?
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
foodstick

Re: Rotisserie Rental

Post by foodstick »

Well If someone needed a rotisserie, you were close, and was a real go getter it would be hard to pass up... I mean having used one on a stripped out uni,the advantage is huge. Since the uni only has one layer of box skin.. you can repair so easily when its upside down. The torque box can be framed up angle instead of tin as some have done.

The danger from the renters point of view is getting distracted and paying rent while you do nothing.. But until rent is more than a rotisserie, I think you'd be ahead. I know as an ok amateur welder my work is WAY better when the vehicle is rotated and I am standing comfortable and welding on the top of something. not the side or bottom.
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

Sounds like a good idea but not the credit card, cash only and make sure the renter has 2 or 3 forms of ID. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Actually, I believe the credit card is a good idea for a couple of reasons. One is for money collection and the other is for return of the rotisserie.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I agree with the CC.
Although I have to say I think that your trying to attempt something that is a very specific market. I guess it doesn't matter you only need one customer.
so it's worth a try.
You might consider a set length of time (months) I know if I were USING one I had rented I would know that I need to stay on the project!
If it were me I think I would just consider selling it since you have got your main use out of it. Just food for thought.
I have several BIG tools or specific tools that I had to have for a project. NOW they are mostly in my way and won't bring the money I paid for them, probably. Needs change with age and interests, I understand!
Engine hoists seem to sell for at least half of what you buy a new one for at HF as an example.
I have a great one I would rather not be storing I hope I don't need it anytime soon though!
As a landlord-i wouldn't think the hassle would not be worth it.

OK, I just reread your post- and see you other brackets so that helps. TRY IT and let us know how it goes. I hope it works out!