VIN stampings on framerail

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FORDification
United States of America

VIN stampings on framerail

Post by FORDification »

While doing some research tonight on some obsure website, someone posted that the VIN number that's typically stamped on the right-side frame rail is actually stamped on the left side for Canadian-built vehicles. Is that true? If so, are there two stampings like U.S. built vehicles? (Same spot, opposite framerail?)
Keith
FORDification.info | FORDification.com | FORDification.net
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Re: VIN stampings on framerail

Post by Hunter's 64 »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35021

might ask these guys :2cents:

Danny
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Keith: On my '66 F250 Crew Cab, as well as a '66 F100 parts truck we recently ravaged, it is exactly where your tutorial on Fordification said it would be, on passenger (Right Hand) rail, approximately paralell to the alternator. And on the parts truck, looking at the rolling chassis, it's in the same location & I did notice the second on on the passenger rail, but I think it would be hard to read with the cab still on...

NB: Many automotive tradesmen I know use "Passenger" and "Drivers", but that can get confusing for anyone dealing with RH drive vehicles (UK, Australia, etc)

Using Right Hand & Left Hand is probably more universal, but either way, one must remember that RH & LH are from a drivers perspective, not standing in front of your vehicle with the hood open:)

....and now some Aussie or Brit will start in with their "near side" & "off side".....

James
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

here since I do so many trucks and very rarely do I go by books cause the Ford Books for info/parts numbers are known only to be 90%-95% right and so many now looking back in books for info here is one of the many problems with Ford and the info that was given to them as well as some info you read on the web by various websites whether its Vehicles, Real Estate, Parts Houses, Lumber Yards Etc.. have found to be wrong or misleading

NOT ALL FRAMES Where stamped with Vin#'s,, I talked personally to a Ford Rep about 4 years ago on a 1966 Ranger I brought in and answer was about 95% of frames where stamped
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
grump

Post by grump »

Checked my frame this afternoon, checked top, bottom, and in between and no vin # on my 66. I guess it's in the 5%.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Hunter's 64 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35021

might ask these guys :2cents:

Danny
Thanks, but I'm no guru. Just someone adept at reading instructions, lol. So that one I actually don't know. I would have to check my shop manuals (61 and 62-63) to see if it actually specifies a location, and I've never actually tried to locate the physical stamping on my truck.

Once you receive your shop manuals Keith you'll know as much as I do. ;)
Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

I had a Canadian built '66 Mercury 20 years ago and I will swear up and down that the vin was stamped on the drivers side frame rail in front of the spring perch and behind the steering box. My current '66 Merc also made in Canada is on the passenger side once in front of the spring perch. I have not looked under the cab.
Ford... the other four letter "F" word

Chevrolet: Condition hopeless entire vehicle runs on leftover engine technology

Six cylinders make farting sounds