Canadian-built color codes

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FORDification
United States of America

Canadian-built color codes

Post by FORDification »

OK, I've been able to track down the proper color codes for '61-64 Mercury pickups and am in the middle of processing these to include on the VIN decoding pages at FORDification.info. I have the '61 and '62 codes in my possession, and rest are in literature that is currently enroute to me. These codes indicate a three-digit code...a number (1, 2 or 3) followed by two letters. However, the few Merc VIN tags I've seen seem to only have the two letters. Does anyone here have a color code that starts out with a 1, 2 or 3? If so, a pic of your VIN tag showing the code would be extremely helpful and appreciated.
Keith
FORDification.info | FORDification.com | FORDification.net
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
FORDification
United States of America

Re: Canadian-built color codes

Post by FORDification »

As of tonight, I've updated the pages with the hard-to-find Canadian-only color code information for '61 and '62, using vintage 1962 factory literature as a source.

If anyone has access to a Canadian-only paint chip sheet for any of the '61-'66 pages, I'd gladly welcome that addition.

The pages are coming along nicely...slowly but surely.

1961 Warranty Tag Info
http://fordification.info/tech/vin-cdn61.htm

1962-63 Warranty Tag Info
http://fordification.info/tech/vin-cdn62-63.htm
Keith
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Mine says "2RW". It's a 62

Thanks for the information... Nice to have

My truck looks like this.

https://goo.gl/photos/HiJ1uN8TD2x4NZmv7

Near as I can tell it's original, under hood is white too.

Nic
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

Thank you...though that does kill my theory about the 1, 2 or 3 first digit describing the style of tutone. I was guessing that a code that started off with 2 was a standard tutone and 3 was what I called a 'deluxe ' tutone. But your truck's code starts off with a 2 and yet it has the 'deluxe' tutone...so my theory holds no water. Darn it. Ok, back to trying to figure out what that means.
Keith
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

FORDification wrote:Thank you...though that does kill my theory about the 1, 2 or 3 first digit describing the style of tutone. I was guessing that a code that started off with 2 was a standard tutone and 3 was what I called a 'deluxe ' tutone. But your truck's code starts off with a 2 and yet it has the 'deluxe' tutone...so my theory holds no water. Darn it. Ok, back to trying to figure out what that means.
Well... Maybe not.

My truck seems a bit different. The interior is not tu tone like most trucks I see. There is no white inside.

I have looked at it carefully and I don't see any evidence that the truck has been painted in or out.

Nic
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Oh and no trim between the colours

Nic
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

Hmmm...OK, well for the time being I'm going to leave this info on the decoding page until we can verify it:
NOTE: The following is a working theory, yet to be verified:
1XX = single solid color
2XX = standard tutone
3XX = deluxe tutone
Keith
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

The 3 prefix is news to me. Pretty sure mine is 2RW as well. Identical to Nic's except mine is a Custom Cab with 2 tone interior.
Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

I have a few pics of warranty plates and all trucks were made in Canada and are single colour. It seems that 61-63 had a numeral in front of the double letters, but the 64-65 does not. The double letter usually represents the colours so RR means the whole body is Rangoon Red. If the truck was tu-tone paint then the code would be UR which is white on top and red on the bottom. This holds true for 65 at least and I suspect 64 as well..
Ford... the other four letter "F" word

Chevrolet: Condition hopeless entire vehicle runs on leftover engine technology

Six cylinders make farting sounds
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Yup, my '64 M350 is all one colour, a light blue metallic, and the paint code is TT.
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

The source for the Merc color codes is the 1962 Ford/Mercury of Canada Collision Body Parts manual, which I just posted to the Factory Literature Library. This manual shows all the '60-'62 Mercury car and truck color codes. Page 152 shows the 1961 Mercury truck solid color codes and Page 153 shows the 1962 Mercury truck solid color codes.

Page 149 shows the possible color combinations, which include the 1, 2 and 3 code prefixes. So I was theorizing that the 2 and 3 prefix denoted the style of tutone, like this, with 2 being the standard tutone and 3 being a 'deluxe' tutone:

However, the color combination chart on Page 149 DOES also include the Mercury cars, so now I'm wondering if just the 1 and 2 code prefix was used on cars and trucks and the 3 prefix was only used on cars? I suppose this is a theory I'll have to investigate too...though Merc colors information (on cars OR trucks) is so hard to find that I'm not going to hold my breath on pinning this down. However, if nobody here who's into the Merc trucks has ever seen or heard of a truck with a prefix 3, then it would seem to indicate that this is a car-only code.

At this point I'm open to any and all ideas and/or input.
Keith
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

Gravemetal wrote:I have a few pics of warranty plates and all trucks were made in Canada and are single colour. It seems that 61-63 had a numeral in front of the double letters, but the 64-65 does not. The double letter usually represents the colours so RR means the whole body is Rangoon Red. If the truck was tu-tone paint then the code would be UR which is white on top and red on the bottom. This holds true for 65 at least and I suspect 64 as well..
I'm assuming the UR is a typo, since there isn't a code U shown on any of the '61-'66 code charts I have, including the '60-'62 Ford/Mercury of Canada Collision Body Parts manual or in the '64-'72 MPC. Code U was used as a Medium Green in '67-'69 and a Yellow in '70-'71.

So in the case of a tutone, the first code listed would be the roof color? How would be code be listed for a truck with a combination ('deluxe') tutone, like this '62 (assuming it was a Merc)? Would there be any differentiating between the standard and the 'deluxe' tutone?

Keith
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

The pictured truck would have the "2" prefix, with the first letter denoting the blue and the second referring to the white.
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

So there would be no difference in the color codes between the standard tutone (blue/white) and the 'deluxe' tutone (blue/white/blue)?
Keith
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

The '61-'64 Canadian Ford/Mercury MPC I've been waiting for finally arrived today, and one of the first things I did was check on the color codes. Straight from the MPC:

So apparently the '3' code shown in the 1962 Ford/Mercury of Canada Collision Body Parts manual only applies to cars. Well, at least we know now. This information will be applied to the Canadian VIN decoding pages at FORDification.info very shortly.
Keith
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

{quote} assuming the UR is a typo, since there isn't a code U shown on any of the '61-'66 code charts I have, including the '60-'62 Ford/Mercury of Canada Collision Body Parts manual or in the '64-'72 MPC. Code U was used as a Medium Green in '67-'69 and a Yellow in '70-'71.

So in the case of a tutone, the first code listed would be the roof color? How would be code be listed for a truck with a combination ('deluxe') tutone, like this '62 (assuming it was a Merc)? Would there be any differentiating between the standard and the 'deluxe' tutone? {/quote}

Mine is a 64 original colours Wimbledon white and skylight blue, code (no number) UH so I would guess U to be Wimbledon White's code letter
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

FORDification wrote:So there would be no difference in the color codes between the standard tutone (blue/white) and the 'deluxe' tutone (blue/white/blue)?
I think the question to be asked (and I don't have a definitive answer) is whether or not the contrasting colour on the roof only was actually a factory option. I do know that my truck is a 2RW code and it is red/white/red, which matches the info Nic provided earlier. I don't think I've seen too many trucks with any other tu-tone scheme so I suspect the one we have was actually the standard.
FORDification wrote: Image
One thought I have is that it appears the blue uni pictured above is a '63 (judging by the side trim which wasn't available in 61-62 as far as I know) so perhaps the contrasting roof was only available for '63 and later? Or that scheme is a custom creation.
CHOPPERS
United States of America

Post by CHOPPERS »

mercuryv8 wrote:Mine says "2RW". It's a 62

Nic

I have the Brother to your truck, Mine is near Identical, M250. I could use that Hubcap...any more?
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

The Big M wrote:I think the question to be asked (and I don't have a definitive answer) is whether or not the contrasting colour on the roof only was actually a factory option. I do know that my truck is a 2RW code and it is red/white/red, which matches the info Nic provided earlier. I don't think I've seen too many trucks with any other tu-tone scheme so I suspect the one we have was actually the standard.

One thought I have is that it appears the blue uni pictured above is a '63 (judging by the side trim which wasn't available in 61-62 as far as I know) so perhaps the contrasting roof was only available for '63 and later? Or that scheme is a custom creation.
Those thoughts were crossing my mind too. At the moment I'm not sure exactly what was available from the factory, though I'll definitely be researching this out a lot more.
Keith
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

CHOPPERS wrote:
mercuryv8 wrote:Mine says "2RW". It's a 62

Nic

I have the Brother to your truck, Mine is near Identical, M250. I could use that Hubcap...any more?
I'm lucky enough to have four of them. I'm going too keep them with the truck. I will keep my eye out for another set.

Nic