Let's talk 'wrongbeds'...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FORDification
United States of America

Let's talk 'wrongbeds'...

Post by FORDification »

I'm hoping I can pick the collective knowledge in this group, 'cause I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around WTH happened in 1964!

In 1964, Ford increased the wheelbase on the F250 2WD LWB trucks by six inches (from 122" to 128"), meaning they finally had to design a bed which not only matched the new wheelbase figure, but also included body lines which matched the cab. And since they were designing new 2WD LWB beds to match the new wheelbase figures, they went and and made 2WD SWB versions of the new styleside bed as well.

However, the '64 F100/F250 4WD trucks shared an odd one-year-only wheelbase of 120". This is 6" longer than the 2WD SWB trucks and 8" shorter than the 2WD LWB trucks. So did Ford have a special styleside wrongbed bed just for the '64 F100/F250 4WD trucks?

And then in 1965, while the 2WD and 4WD trucks finally shared a common wheelbase, the length was increased an additional inch, from 114" to 115" for SWB trucks and 128" to 129" for LWB trucks, which carried over into the '66 model year. Now, since we know that the '65 4WD styleside trucks still used the wrongbed, does that mean an additional new wrongbed was used?

From the data I'm looking at, it seems like there had to be six different-length wrongbeds for the following applications:

- 114" wheelbase - '61-'63 all, '64 SWB
- 120" wheelbase - '64 4WD all
- 122" wheelbase - '61-'63 all
- 128" wheelbase - '64 F100/F250 2WD
- 129" wheelbase - '65-'66 F100 2WD/4WD, F250 LWB
- 132" wheelbase - '61-'66 all

So did Ford actually make six different wrongbed sizes based on the different wheelbase figures?
Keith
FORDification.info | FORDification.com | FORDification.net
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
FORDification
United States of America

Re: Let's talk 'wrongbeds'...

Post by FORDification »

After poring through the data I had for almost 8 straight hours I finally made it to bed by 4AM, slept till 9 and then spent the last hour driving our open Ford tractor 7 miles on backroads at 10-15 MPH (in 28º with a 20 MPH winds!) back from the shop where it was getting some work done. Give me some time to thaw out and get something to eat and I'll be back at it. (I also have to use the tractor to move my non-running '62 from it's current parking spot in the driveway to someplace out of the way to allow for clearing snow that's supposed to be on the way.)

For now, I'll just say that since posting that last, I was made aware that all the earlier 4x4s shared a 120" WB...just goes to show you that accurate data is crucial, and mine apparently isn't at the moment....but I haven't started with the MPC yet either, so that might clear things up. I'll definitely have to go through and double-check my wheelbase figures, but even discounting the 120" WB figure, I believe there's still multiple WB lengths that used the wrongbed, so I just need to figure out what was used and when. This is definitely work-in-progress, lots of additions/corrections to make, but we'll get there.
Keith
FORDification.info | FORDification.com | FORDification.net
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: Let's talk 'wrongbeds'...

Post by shipwrecked »

That's a whole lot of info to sift through!
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63