Lmc rear tank

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61ford

Lmc rear tank

Post by 61ford »

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fb/FB31A.htm. this is Interesting that they are actually making stuff for our trucks. This is actually the same tank as they sell for 67-72 c10. They send no instructions on how to install it but what I've seen with the Chevy you don't have to move the rear crossmember. I've just been looking for an option bc I don't want a filler neck in the floor
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
LM14
United States of America

Re: Lmc rear tank

Post by LM14 »

I would just do the Mustang tank over that one. I tend to use LMC as a last resource. The Mustang sender works with our gauges. That LMC piece will still be thru the floor of the bed. I've been looking for options, too.
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
61ford

Post by 61ford »

My point was if it's the same tank and it is. The c10 have a side fill. I have thought about buying a mustang tank and juat.get someone to put me a filler neck in the side. It is nice that somebody is finally making parts for these trucks
Ryan

351w/Aod
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

The main problem involved the way I see it in putting the tank under the bed floor is how to fill the tank. Ford had a setup in the late 70's with the rear mounted tanks which involved having two hoses that ran out between the frame and bed a large fill line and a smaller bent line. The large hose was flattened to get the hose in the narrow space, and so to fill the tank you needed the vent line for the fill process. I am installing an 64 Bronco tank in my grandsons truck which does not have the vent hose, but have not gotten to the point of routing the fill hose yet. Have yet to decide what I will do concerning the actual final assembly. As to whether the gas tank sender will work properly with the gauges in our trucks, I have not bothered yet to check this out. Cost was not to bad for new tank and sender , roughly 120$ total. I used the original 84 small Bronco tank straps and made other brackets to mount these to.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The dent side trucks had behind the seat, beside the frame and between the frame tanks. It seems that the beside and between tanks ought to work in a slick. The general construction of the bed floor and bracing were similar. Or is there a space issue due to the 2" difference in frame width? I had a '74 that had the behind the set tank plus a saddle tank on either side in front of the wheels. The saddle tanks were easy to get to with the filler in the wheel well. I could go from Ohio-LA on a couple of fill-ups with the 60 Gal overall capacity.
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

Some have used a 49/52 Chevy car tank and a universal sender with a side fill . Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

Is there any reason why the mustang tank can't have the filler neck come out the back and then you fill behind the licence plate just like a car from the 70's?
Ford... the other four letter "F" word

Chevrolet: Condition hopeless entire vehicle runs on leftover engine technology

Six cylinders make farting sounds
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Ok I have to ask a stupid question, why can't you use the factory filler spot with a pipe through the cab floor and sent back down to the tank?
61ford

Post by 61ford »

Leeroy wrote:Ok I have to ask a stupid question, why can't you use the factory filler spot with a pipe through the cab floor and sent back down to the tank?
I've thought about that but I think you wouldn't have enough fall to get it to the tank. Lots of 90s and just straight level pipe if you get my drift
Ryan

351w/Aod
61ford

Post by 61ford »

Gravemetal wrote:Is there any reason why the mustang tank can't have the filler neck come out the back and then you fill behind the licence plate just like a car from the 70's?
Tank would have to hang pretty low to get the gas in the tank. A bronco tank might work for that the filler neck is straight out the tank on those but it's only a 13 gallon tank . One question I have has anyone done a mustang tank on a unibody I was looking yesterday at mine. If you relocated the rear crossmember to the end of the frame it would be in the way of the license plate mount on the body
Ryan

351w/Aod
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I have the 19 gal stainless mustang tank in my F250 uni. Caught it on sale on eBay, it had an ugly exteror finish (scratches). I've also heard that some stock tanks don't play well with diesel, so I went cheap stainless.
May do a side fill, TBD in warm weather.

There are several postings in the builds section, on how to. The search function should give you plenty of ideas.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I have seen side fill illustrated on this site in the past. I like them and wouldn't mind that approach myself. However a center fill at the rear of the bed is much much simpler and I may end up with that.
In reality the stock behind the seat is not giving me any issues except it would be nice to have behind the seat storage.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

As long as the inlet for fuel to go into the tank, is at a lower elevation than the filler cap, you can't STOP the fuel from going into it. It would make your delima a lot simpler, plus you'd probably gain another 4-5 gallons of extra fuel space in the tubing alone. UNLESS you just WANT the filler spout moved from it's current location.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I used the Isuzu trooper tank.
I had to notch the frame and weld in a piece of pipe in order to strengthen the frame rail.
It allowed me to come up under the bed rail where I relocated my filler neck on the upper bed roll. Matched the bed contour with a piece of metal shelving bent around my grinder stand pipe. Looks and works great
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

I have a 23 gallon side fill tank out of a 84-94 Bronco II
that I plan to use. Want to put a filler door on the top rail
of the bed with a boat tank filler with the screw in cap. TR
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

Leeroy wrote:Ok I have to ask a stupid question, why can't you use the factory filler spot with a pipe through the cab floor and sent back down to the tank?
Why not just use the stock tank then? It would be much safer. Think about it. Side or rear impact to the bed...tank is compressed or upset violently.....If the hose connections do not hold there is a risk of gasoline being burped into the passenger compartment.

1953-55 Ford trucks used a filler through the cab but the tank was amidships. Still this idea was abandoned by the 56 model to back behind the seat.

All I'm saying is, in the cab behind the seat is OK. Outside the cab is OK. Outside the cab with a filler that runs though the cab....not OK.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
creedua

Post by creedua »

Truckrat wrote:I have a 23 gallon side fill tank out of a 84-94 Bronco II
that I plan to use. Want to put a filler door on the top rail
of the bed with a boat tank filler with the screw in cap. TR
Do you have pics of this set-up?
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

This is the Mustang tank under my 63, been there for 17 years, I have the fill just under the floor level in the bed. Doesn't get in the way, and as soon as I get the locking hinged door, hopefully theft proof'
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

Oh and from the rear, before anyone says it hangs to low :argue:

chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

64 f100 wrote:The main problem involved the way I see it in putting the tank under the bed floor is how to fill the tank. Ford had a setup in the late 70's with the rear mounted tanks which involved having two hoses that ran out between the frame and bed a large fill line and a smaller bent line. The large hose was flattened to get the hose in the narrow space, and so to fill the tank you needed the vent line for the fill process. I am installing an 64 Bronco tank in my grandsons truck which does not have the vent hose, but have not gotten to the point of routing the fill hose yet. Have yet to decide what I will do concerning the actual final assembly. As to whether the gas tank sender will work properly with the gauges in our trucks, I have not bothered yet to check this out. Cost was not to bad for new tank and sender , roughly 120$ total. I used the original 84 small Bronco tank straps and made other brackets to mount these to.
In my 65 F100, I had a rear gas tank from a 2 door 78 Cutlas Supreme with the filler hose as you mentioned and it was a very slow fill. Years latter I finally added a vent line and it was a little faster fill. The gas gague worked backward.
Chris