Wiring, misc questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

charliemccraney

Wiring, misc questions

Post by charliemccraney »

I'm doing a rewire soon so this is the thread that I will lump any of my wiring related questions. These questions will be specific to a 1961 Unibody but I'm sure most of it is pretty much the same as any other slick.

My wiring is a nightmare, previous owner doings, as well as young Charlie doings, so I have no idea what is correct.

First, I'd like to see pictures of original wire routing, clips, grommets so I know how they did it at the factory. That way I can better understand what mine is missing, and decide if I want to use and track down oem type stuff or not.

I saw some frame clips, at Dennis Carpenter, http://dennis-carpenter.com/taillight-w ... /373829-S/, but I haven't seen any on the frame. I do see something like it along the back of the bed but they appear to be spot welded. Do those actually fit holes in the frame or are they meant to be a repair for the spot welded clips - drill out the spot weld, and they clip in place?
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: Wiring, misc questions

Post by orangeRcode »

Start here http://fordification.info/index.htm

Keith is a member on here and has a wealth of info available to all.
charliemccraney

Thanks for the link. Unless I'm overlooking it, I don't see anything that will help with my needs at this time.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I pulled those same clips off my truck frame when I yanked the wire harness. I don't remember there being many. They ran on the driver side from cab toward the rear. I am not paying 5$ for a clip. D.C. Seems mighty proud of them. I bought a few rubber lined stainless wire rings from the hardware store.

In my parts manuals I will see what I can find. But I only remember three or four clips.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Charlie, I can't find any info in either the wiring manuals or body builders manual. I'll check the MPC; if all else fails, I will get some pics from my '61 uni. I'm pretty sure the arrangement on it is original. EDIT, looking in the MPC, there are in fact 12 applications of that snap-in 35269 clip on the unis. They are used on the harness which transverses the cowl above the engine, along the right side starter/ ignition harness, and as April stated, down the driver's side back to the taillamps and across. There are also a handful of bolt-in clips used on the described harness; those look like the ones April described although not rubber lined.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

My uni had clips that held the wire harness to the rear, utilizing a nub that went thru the small holes in the frame. They are old and brittle metal, but since I doubled up on my new fuel lines to the rear with new loops made from metal strapping, I have them left over if you want them, I will go try to fish them out of my spare parts bucket.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
charliemccraney

I see the bolt on ones along the cowl. No snap in ones left anywhere but for the price, I probably won't use those.

What section of the parts catalog are they in? I don't see them in Lamps, Wiring.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody