straight axle drop

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Justind
United States of America

straight axle drop

Post by Justind »

I know there may be a thread somewhere but I was unable to find it. I'm looking to see what everyone has done to lower the front of a straight axle truck and what it looks like? Flipped axle, drop axle, remove leafs ect.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: straight axle drop

Post by SteveCanup »

Reversed eye mono-springs...Drop axle to come...
1964 F-100
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

I would recommend going with a drop axle. Sid's in Guthrie OK does good work and is reasonably priced. You can take or ship your axle and pick up one that's dropped to your specs. Next would be a set of mono-leaf springs but unless you can get a deal you'll probably pay as much for them as the drop axle. Just my 2 cents. Sids dropped axles are $350 plus shipping to drop yours or exchange. 2" Tie Rod Drops $60pr. American made kingpin set $45

Edit: The above is if you have a few bucks to spend. If money is tight, then the axle flip is probably the least expensive to do.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
theinternetkid

Post by theinternetkid »

I found this one on Craigslist. Looks like the guy did a c-notch and some sort of link system for the front axle.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

This is about 3" from stock, front and rear. Standard eye monos up front, re arched, stock rears.

Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Justind
United States of America

Post by Justind »

how do the monos ride and drive? I am thinking strongly of flipping the front axle but am trying to figure out a different route on the steering. looking into a different steering box
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

I can't give a reliable comparison, because I went from stock springs with worn out bushings to the monos, with brand new bushings.

It seemed to handle slightly better. That probably has more to do with the drop than anything else. Other than that, I can't tell any difference. They've been installed for maybe 15 years now, daily driven.

Most of the drop with the monos comes from having only 1 leaf, so clearance to the snubber stays about the same, which means you have about the same amount of travel. You'll get more of a drop with an axle flip but that clearance will be diminished, which causes problems with the frame, and possibly the engine, in addition to steering geometry correction.
If you do flip the axle, you do not simply clamp it to the top of the spring. It will require that custom brackets be made to properly position the axle and ensure that it stays in that position. A drop axle should give a similar drop without as much hassle.

This thread shows one way to do a flip viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19250
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.