2 Master Cylinders On Firewall

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

claybreaker 144

2 Master Cylinders On Firewall

Post by claybreaker 144 »

I purchased this cab from Desert Motors in AZ and I thought it had a hydraulic clutch but on closer examination it has 2 brake master cy.linders a single and dual. Can you actually use a dual circuit master cylinder to operate a clutch?
Photo attached is not showing up.
62 Unibody Short Bed Soon To Have CV Swap
62 T Bird
66 Elcamino
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: 2 Master Cylinders On Firewall

Post by slick4x4 »

If the dual is on the clutch side... They must have ...
Are they T-eed together ?
Maybe one side plugged & they are using the other ?

The bigger trucks that use a hydraulic clutch , use a
Single port that is similar to a brake master cylinder
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

My slick is a factory hydraulic clutch (RHD)

This is the original setup, brake master on the left and clutch on the right. The clutch even had the threaded part for the brake switch (plugged in the picture)Whilst the lids were different, the two were the same externally.

This is after conversion to dual circuit master cylinder (with booster) Any chance it could have been changed like this?
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Leeroy... Are the internals the same ? .....
I'm thinking the piston is built differently
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Leeroy... Are the internals the same ?
No they aren't, I can't remember exactly what a brake master bore is for a slick.... maybe 1"?? But the clutch master was 1 1/8". The slave is the same as the 57-60 fridge setup.
claybreaker 144

Post by claybreaker 144 »

Tried to attach the photo and I get a message that say "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached".
Posted on another website and it was described as a "redneck setup".
62 Unibody Short Bed Soon To Have CV Swap
62 T Bird
66 Elcamino
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

http://www.photobucket.com

Sign up for an account there (free) that way you can upload pics from computer or direct from camera phone. It then gives you the link to cut and paste here and voila! Pictures :)
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Leeroy wrote:My slick is a factory hydraulic clutch (RHD)

This is the original setup, brake master on the left and clutch on the right. The clutch even had the threaded part for the brake switch (plugged in the picture)Whilst the lids were different, the two were the same externally.

This is after conversion to dual circuit master cylinder (with booster) Any chance it could have been changed like this?
Was your set up specific to right hand drive trucks? That would be a good OEM type conversion.
Chris
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Yes I believe so. The clutch fork at the gearbox is all still on the same side as LHD models, so there is no way to make the clutch work with a z bar setup (Well not easily!) so to my knowledge, ours are all hydraulic. Previous slick (62) was automatic, but had all the holes punched out for where the clutch master sat many moons ago.

Its been discussed here before, but if you are interested in a hydraulic setup, it's a 11/8" master fruit jar master cylinder with the fridge slave cylinder. The LHD clutch pedal even has the hole for the pushrod if you grind the z bar linkage off the pedal. I think Greg had a picture of it in a different thread. I think the hardest part would the lines between the master and slave and working out the pushrod lengths!

Im not much of a macs fan since they've sold to ecklers, but these are the parts I used. (Parts store wanted $600 for the same master cylinder here! :shock: )
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truck ... -f250.html

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truck ... inder.html
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Leeroy wrote:Yes I believe so. The clutch fork at the gearbox is all still on the same side as LHD models, so there is no way to make the clutch work with a z bar setup (Well not easily!) so to my knowledge, ours are all hydraulic. Previous slick (62) was automatic, but had all the holes punched out for where the clutch master sat many moons ago.

Its been discussed here before, but if you are interested in a hydraulic setup, it's a 11/8" master fruit jar master cylinder with the fridge slave cylinder. The LHD clutch pedal even has the hole for the pushrod if you grind the z bar linkage off the pedal. I think Greg had a picture of it in a different thread. I think the hardest part would the lines between the master and slave and working out the pushrod lengths!

Im not much of a macs fan since they've sold to ecklers, but these are the parts I used. (Parts store wanted $600 for the same master cylinder here! :shock: )
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truck ... -f250.html

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truck ... inder.html
Thanks for that link. I have a couple of FT bell housings with that tab.
Chris