King pin thrust bearing lubrication?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mojave922
United States of America

King pin thrust bearing lubrication?

Post by Mojave922 »

I have some Trayer BE-61 thrust bearings that came with a Moog king pin set, and I can't tell whether or not they are lubed from the factory. It doesn't feel like it, and if not, I can't tell how a person could pack them with grease. Anyone have experience with these?
David

65 F100 swb (352 3 spd manual, not running)

Previous rides:
69 Bronco, completed frame-off restoration
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code
Day 2

Re: King pin thrust bearing lubrication?

Post by Day 2 »

When I read your post I went to see which kingpin set I have, I have a Moog 8445B, and it has Federal Mogul thrust bearings that are not greased nor are they sealed. but appear to be easy to pack in some grease, so are your bearings sealed? If they are they should be pre lubed. Sorry I don't have a good answer for you.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I would think that when you greased the bushings after assembly the grease should work it's way in to the bearing. However, two washers of the right size and a bolt thru the middle , with the bolt drilled for a grease fitting and then drilled on the side to allow the grease to come out in the middle of the bearing should work and allow you to pressure feed grease in to the bearing. Place the bearing between the two washers with the bolt thru the middle and a nut on the end. With the grease fitting in the end of the bolt and a grease gun , you should be able to exert enough pressure to force the grease into the bearing.

Rich
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Mojave922 wrote:I have some Trayer BE-61 thrust bearings that came with a Moog king pin set, and I can't tell whether or not they are lubed from the factory. It doesn't feel like it, and if not, I can't tell how a person could pack them with grease. Anyone have experience with these?
Mine came from Dennis Carpenter, I remember the bearing had an up side. The lip on the bottom caught grease and directed it into the thrust.

On the seperate spring question I don't think the spring I have is OEM. It hooks to the clutch fork and hangs on the rod pivot. It was there when I got it. I believe the long spring hooks to the fork and to the engine perch. When I use the clutch I lift the pedal up by foot because the spring won't hook there with these headers.
Chris
Mojave922
United States of America

Post by Mojave922 »

I got a rep from Trayer on the phone today and he said to pack them like you would any wheel bearing. Should be interesting as the seam at the bottom looks about as wide as a human hair. Between said packing and greasing through the caps on the ends, rep says that should be sufficient lubrication. Onward!
David

65 F100 swb (352 3 spd manual, not running)

Previous rides:
69 Bronco, completed frame-off restoration
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

These bearing only turns left and right a short distance, and grease if worked in is the only protection you will have from water getting in to the bearing and creating rust. Although this is not a big issue today as it would take a long time for the bearing to seize as the truck most likely would not set long enough without being used. Years ago when these were mostly work trucks and saw mud quite often it may have affected the bearings, but I've never taken one apart that was locked up. The two washers and bolt drilled for a grease fitting is a very basic home made bearing packer, similar to a wheel bearing packer.