Budget bagged 65

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ohiopatina

Budget bagged 65

Post by ohiopatina »

I'm new to the site but I figured I'd start a build thread. This is my 65 step side with a heavy "patina" hence my name. I plan on leaving the exterior just like this for a while. I want it to drive reliably with a decent bag setup. I have picked up most of my bag parts second hand from friends and good ole Craigslist.

First day home and tucked in the shop

Spare "dent" deleted

Notch/frame work progress

Current mess, this is obviously temporary to check movement and leaks

Floor pan progress
ohiopatina

Re: Budget bagged 65

Post by ohiopatina »

User name "grump" hooked me up with a stock non dented fender to cut up and use as a patch to delete the other dent.

Thanks again grump
ohiopatina

Post by ohiopatina »

The front is already bagged I just need to plumb the lines. Hopefully I can do that and get the shocks sorted out in the next day or two
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

CV front? Cool project. Looking forward to your updates. Welcome!
ohiopatina

Post by ohiopatina »

No CV. Bag on stock I beams. I had the bags laying around so I figured I'd accept the challenge. I will put the CV cradle in when I get sick of this
theinternetkid

Post by theinternetkid »

I bagged my 61 using a CV cross-member. This set up isn't ideal for bags due to camber issues, (it's almost as bad as I-beams in terms of camber). With that said I used one because my truck needed so much. My truck was essentially a rolling chassis and body. I was able to use the front suspension, engine, trans, driveshaft and brakes from the donor car. So in the end it saved me a ton of money.

I'd say if you already have a running, driving truck, a Mustang II would probably give you better performance in a bagged application.
ohiopatina

Post by ohiopatina »

Thanks for some insight.

I don't plan on laying mine out like yours. I just want it low when I want it low. The camber doesn't bother me to much. Most of the time she will a few inches lower than stock height when driving around.

Did you have to channel your cab to lay out that hard?
theinternetkid

Post by theinternetkid »

I used a technique called "Z'ing" the frame. Basically I cut the frame rails on each side of the front cross member (left & right and also front & behind). Then I raised the section with the cross member 3". This allowed the frame/body to lay all the way down when the front suspension is at full drop. This technique does raise the engine and trans in relation to the body, so I am also making a new trans tunnel to accommodate the extra clearance.
ohiopatina

Post by ohiopatina »

theinternetkid wrote:I used a technique called "Z'ing" the frame. Basically I cut the frame rails on each side of the front cross member (left & right and also front & behind). Then I raised the section with the cross member 3". This allowed the frame/body to lay all the way down when the front suspension is at full drop. This technique does raise the engine and trans in relation to the body, so I am also making a new trans tunnel to accommodate the extra clearance.

I'm familiar with Zing. I just don't need to be that low. Your truck looks good
ohiopatina

Post by ohiopatina »

Let's see if the video works, the front is alive

ohiopatina

Post by ohiopatina »

I don't know if the video works but I have 7 inches of travel and very little camber issues. This is on my shop compressor as just a test at about 80psi.
ohiopatina

Post by ohiopatina »

The shop needs cleaned and she needed some sunshine

ohiopatina

Post by ohiopatina »

Got the floor painted and the seat and belts mocked up. Yes there are 3 belts, I have two kids so I can't leave one out lol.

Also got the first coat on the rear of the frame.

I painted the wheels white to see if I like it, I'm still on the fence

Sportinlife
United States of America

Post by Sportinlife »

I like your truck.
What size tires are you running?
Thx.
1964 F100 Flareside, "The agricultural sport coupe"
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

Like the white better, goes with the grille and bumper. Are you going to "shine up" the patina?
ohiopatina

Post by ohiopatina »

Day 2 wrote:Like the white better, goes with the grille and bumper. Are you going to "shine up" the patina?
The one picture is right after I rinsed it off and I do like the shine. I might throw a flat clear on it I just haven't decided yet