Did I get scammed on my widsheld?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

River City
United States of America

Re: Did I get scammed on my widsheld?

Post by River City »

Lesson learned for sure. Mine had no trim. That was one of the first things he asked me. And when he was putting it in he told me if I had the custom cab trim the install price would have doubled. I think he's fully aware he's the only guy in the area that'll install glass on classic cars and he's cashing in. I called the restoration shop (he installs for several well respected classic car restoration shops in Des Moines) that referred him to me this morning and asked them if he used sealer for them and as you can guess, he does. This guy saw a mark to make some easy quick cash and took me. Too bad. He's an old timer, past retirement age. I tend to respect my elders, didn't want to question his work. Guess that bit me in the rear. Thank you for all the info and insight.
'61 F100 unibody SWB (Vic swapped daily driver)
'62 F100 Unibody SWB
'66 Mustang 'vert
'31 Ford Model A
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

River City wrote:Lesson learned for sure. Mine had no trim. That was one of the first things he asked me. And when he was putting it in he told me if I had the custom cab trim the install price would have doubled. I think he's fully aware he's the only guy in the area that'll install glass on classic cars and he's cashing in. I called the restoration shop (he installs for several well respected classic car restoration shops in Des Moines) that referred him to me this morning and asked them if he used sealer for them and as you can guess, he does. This guy saw a mark to make some easy quick cash and took me. Too bad. He's an old timer, past retirement age. I tend to respect my elders, didn't want to question his work. Guess that bit me in the rear. Thank you for all the info and insight.
Maybe a good idea to put a quick write-up on the youtube video. Could help others in your situation.

Nic
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The other aspect of the resto shops is that they are not necessarily looking for value. They have someone else to pass the cost on to. Sorry about your situation. Good lessons can be hard or expensive to learn.
CHICOF100

Post by CHICOF100 »

Andyman wrote:Yeah, I would say you definitely got taken. After his sneer comment about the extra 40 bucks I would have told him to take it out right now and when he was done I would say gtfo with that attitude. What an ass.
CHICOF100 wrote:It's not that!!! if your in front of someone who is doing a job for you, how can you be "taken advantage of"?
If you have someone doing a job for you, and say "I want it done this way", how can you loose? You have to be in charge!!
I'm paying for what I want, and that's that. You need to be in charge.
As a general contractor, you have sub contractors, they do as you say or you fire them. It's not that hard.
You need to have huevos or you'll be taken advantage of for everything.
Call his bluff, but really have it done the way you want it done!
Cry, yes you can. If you don't speak up, then you get what you get.
You can tell me what ever you want, but if I pay someone to do a job for me, they will do it as I say. So grow huevos or don't contract anything out. Remember, your the boss, do as I say "Period!!!!"
Yeah, okay bud. Btw,*you're
See, people who post a response like this, don't really read the thread. They read what they want and respond in such a manner that it's offensive to the responder.
If you read my response "Correctly" then you would understand the response.
When you "Hire" someone to do a job, then your the "General Contractor" what you say, (GOES), PERIOD!!! If you fail to tell sub-contractor what you want, then it's on you.
If what you want is wrong, that's on you. Never-the-less your the boss.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Deep Ellum Glass in Dallas makes an ever-expanding list of swap meets in the south. Their price is $100.00 with free installation at those meets. The glass is quality, as is the installation, and unless policy has changed, they do the Custom Cabs for no additional charge. Their installers are among the remaining few who know how to correctly remove and install the flat rear window glass!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
DCarr

Post by DCarr »

Auto glass is my profession and has been for 32 years. Yes 400 is high, even if he supplied a Carlite straight tint windshield, he still put over 300 in his pocket. Slicks are not Ferraris or Lambos, they are just not that hard to do even with the stainless. I always use sealant between the glass & gasket - that is where they usually leak. If the pinchweld is in bad shape, it may need sealant between the gasket & body. If anyone wants to do their own windshield installation , I would be happy to talk them through it. I may do a picture tutorial if anyone is interested. I need to install a new one in my 64 that has stainless.
Tune For Maximum Smoke ___________________________________ 64 F100 Longsmoothie 65 Mustang Fastback
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

That would be great and helpful I have two that leak with new rubber one done by me and one by my body shop, also going to have to do my sons in the near future a tutorial would be a great asset.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I bought a new windshield for my 65 and the man I bought it from came out to my house and installed it for 225.00 and he drove over from the next town, of course it was only thirteen miles from my house. My windshield had the stainless trim too. I would say that you were taken advantage of.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
MY OL 66
United States of America

Post by MY OL 66 »

DCarr wrote:Auto glass is my profession and has been for 32 years. Yes 400 is high, even if he supplied a Carlite straight tint windshield, he still put over 300 in his pocket. Slicks are not Ferraris or Lambos, they are just not that hard to do even with the stainless. I always use sealant between the glass & gasket - that is where they usually leak. If the pinchweld is in bad shape, it may need sealant between the gasket & body. If anyone wants to do their own windshield installation , I would be happy to talk them through it. I may do a picture tutorial if anyone is interested. I need to install a new one in my 64 that has stainless.
This sounds like something that you should post onto the "Hints and Tricks" page.

I know I will need this info when I am to the point of installing new glass in my slick.

Thanks.
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
Mojave922
United States of America

Post by Mojave922 »

Toyz wrote:Deep Ellum Glass in Dallas makes an ever-expanding list of swap meets in the south. Their price is $100.00 with free installation at those meets. The glass is quality, as is the installation, and unless policy has changed, they do the Custom Cabs for no additional charge. Their installers are among the remaining few who know how to correctly remove and install the flat rear window glass!
Paul
Sorry for your frustrating experience River City.

Wow, $100 and free installation? That would be impossible to beat, for sure. After calling around locally and looking online, I was excited to find a local glass shop to provide a windshield for about $90, and install would have been about another $100 if memory serves. I would have taken them up on that, but my truck wasn't running (okay, still isn't running).

I put 3M sealer in the glass groove, which may turn out to be no help at all, but wrestling with the floppy gasket and trying to squeeze the sealer in that groove by myself was a major hassle. Hopefully, if it does leak, more sealer could be added along the pinch weld as needed. The truck will be a Sunday driver only and it has a vinyl floor mat, so it may be a non-issue. Guess I could give it a hose test, as is.

Toyz, what's the story with installing the flat back glass? I have a new gasket to install.
David

65 F100 swb (352 3 spd manual, not running)

Previous rides:
69 Bronco, completed frame-off restoration
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code
DCarr

Post by DCarr »

Simple to install the back glass. put the new gasket on the glass , tuck a small diameter rope in the groove of the gasket that goes over the pinchweld ,lubricate the rubber , set the glass & rubber into the cavity in the body, then pull the loose ends of the rope around the perimeter of the glass to pull the rubber lip over the pinchweld. Guess I better figure out photobucket again soon to provide some pictures. Hope this helps.
Tune For Maximum Smoke ___________________________________ 64 F100 Longsmoothie 65 Mustang Fastback
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I'm going to have to remove my windshield again and get the sealant too. With no sealant the windshield leaks. I repaired the lip seal on the passenger side- that one is fine. The driver side which didn't have any rust is leaking. Going to cost me more money. But- I will have the trim powder coated when I do it this time.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63