Power Steering Question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slixty6
United States of America

Power Steering Question

Post by slixty6 »

I'm planning for the future with installing power steering on my 66 swb. I got a power steering gearbox out of a donor, a 1977 f150. I plan to send it to Redhead for a replacement.
Here's my dilemma, through research, I found that if I use this gearbox, I have to use the steering links and pitman arm also? Well I'm not using the spindles from that truck, I'm staying with my 66 spindles. Will there be any problems with this setup? I understand that the ball joints are longer is why I ask.
bruceandersson

Re: Power Steering Question

Post by bruceandersson »

There are no ball joints on any slicks - all kingpin based. I've always switched out everything from the later trucks so I have disk brakes as well as power steering and kept the whole setup consistent.
slixty6
United States of America

Post by slixty6 »

ok, well what I need is info if the steering linkage from a 77 f100 will fit my 66 spindles? I know the connection to the 77 pitman arm needs to be the longer one because the pitman is thicker. But are the ends that connect to the spindles also longer?
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Check out the www.fordification.com site. Best information on this conversion is there. It is based on the 67-72 bump sides, but still applies to a slick. The front frame config is the same from 65-79.
slixty6
United States of America

Post by slixty6 »

Yes, I read that, but it was if I was swapping the whole front. I'm keeping my 66 spindles mainly because I have already purchased drop beams for 65-72 ford trucks and king pins for my 66. I'm probably screwed lol.
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Which drag link are you using?

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
slixty6
United States of America

Post by slixty6 »

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I think I'm going to find another 77 through 79 donor and get the whole front end. I contacted DJM and asked them a few questions. They told me their dream beams will fit from 65 through 79. So if I can find a donor, I should be fine.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

The studs on the tie rod end "ball joints" are in fact longer to accommodate the thicker spindle arms and pitman arm on the '77s. You can modify (thin) the pitman arm and utilize your original linkage. I am assuming you are using a Ford p.s. box. Note that this box requires replacement or modification of the steering column assembly as well, due to the longer length.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
slixty6
United States of America

Post by slixty6 »

Thx Toyz, I am using an original PS box from a 77 f100. I thought about doing that. I am also thinking about finding another donor and robbing the whole front and get disc brakes also. As far as the steering column, I have purchased an Ididit column that telescopes in and out to accommodate ether manual or PS box.