Rear end noise

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slixty6
United States of America

Rear end noise

Post by slixty6 »

I took my 9 inch rear end apart this past weekend. Of course the inside looked as if it hadn't been touched in 50yrs lol. Anyway, I cleaned the center chunk with brake cleaner and power washer. I then sprayed it with wd40 to keep it from rusting till I get it back together.

My concern is this, before removing and cleaning, the center made no noise and turned smoothly. Now after cleaning, it makes a clunking noise when I spin the yoke. Am I worried over nothing and it will go back to normal when it is all back together with oil on it, or should I be looking at budgeting a overhaul?
charliemccraney

Re: Rear end noise

Post by charliemccraney »

Since it is so old and it is out, a thorough check of the center section by someone who knows what they are doing is a good idea.

However, if it seemed to be doing ok, it will probably keep chugging along. I suspect that the noise is due to a lack of gear oil since it was cleaned.
Since you did clean it, after you have it reinstalled and filled with oil, put it on jack stands and run it in forward and reverse for a couple minutes each to make sure it is thoroughly coated in oil before putting a load on it.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
slixty6
United States of America

Re: Rear end noise

Post by slixty6 »

That's exactly what a mechanic told me, but wanted to be sure. It's going back together this weekend, but it is going to sit for a while till I'm done, possibly years. I'm going to fill it up, and just spin the wheels every once in a while to keep the gears lubed. Thanks