Radial or bias?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Radial or bias?

Post by shipwrecked »

been doing a little searching on here and the other forum regarding tires.
I have a set of junkyard tires on wagon wheels right now I've been using just to roll in and out the garage. Anyway, one of those junkyard things once made of rubber is blowing aire out the cracks in the sidewall. I can fill with air, roll it outside then have to fill with air to roll it back inside a few hours later.

I have 5 original steel 15" indies already powder coated and waiting for rubber.

Bias ply or radial... not planning on doing a ton of miles on it, but would like a pie cut style sidewall. Was looking at Coker and see their radial bias ply looking black walls are like 240 a pop. Coker bias ply are 140 each. Looking at size 7.10x15 I think is the right size.

Wasnt around for bias ply tires.... so I got no clue. Remember I still have straight axle and leaf springs. No intention of upgrading to IFS or a bigger/faster running gear... keeping a 223 and 3speed.

Leaning toward the bias ply cause of the look and they are cheaper.
What say you?
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: Radial or bias?

Post by orangeRcode »

I believe I heard of people complaining of tracking issues with bias tires. I have no direct experience with this because I'm not aware of ever driving a vehicle with them.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

April,
My 350 is running on 7:50/16's bias ply on the old zero balance six hole wheels.I like'em very quiet and run out real smooth.With inner tubes,no steering problems......
Dan
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I might just get some cheap radials. I went to the tire shop.. 106.00 for 235r15 tires in black wall with a tread Similar to the bias tires. For 100 a piece I may just do that. I can't keep pushing a truck out with a flat tire.
Jason_S
United States of America

Post by Jason_S »

I've run a lot of bias ply tires and prefer them for an old truck. On a cold day, they are a bit bumpy but smooth out.

Without power steering, turning a steering wheel with pizza cutter bias plies is a bit easier versus wider radials.

On the '64, I recently went with made in USA bias ply tires from Specialty Tire of America. Ordered them through Summit Racing. $119 ea for 7.00 x 15 highway tires and $110 ea for 7.00 x 15 mudgrips - free shipping...

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

1964 F-100, 223/3-spd
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

shipwrecked wrote:been doing a little searching on here and the other forum regarding tires.
I have a set of junkyard tires on wagon wheels right now I've been using just to roll in and out the garage. Anyway, one of those junkyard things once made of rubber is blowing aire out the cracks in the sidewall. I can fill with air, roll it outside then have to fill with air to roll it back inside a few hours later.

I have 5 original steel 15" indies already powder coated and waiting for rubber.

Bias ply or radial... not planning on doing a ton of miles on it, but would like a pie cut style sidewall. Was looking at Coker and see their radial bias ply looking black walls are like 240 a pop. Coker bias ply are 140 each. Looking at size 7.10x15 I think is the right size.

Wasnt around for bias ply tires.... so I got no clue. Remember I still have straight axle and leaf springs. No intention of upgrading to IFS or a bigger/faster running gear... keeping a 223 and 3speed.

Leaning toward the bias ply cause of the look and they are cheaper.
What say you?
Back in the day I ran a couple pair on the rear. In 390 territory they have a distinctive howl you don't get out of a radial. Seemed they were a little more slippery when wet.
Chris
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

After sleeping on it.... I kinda want the bias ply. I just want to get the right one now. I'm headed to junk yard for a tire for now. I may get the Coker bias ply tires in a few weeks. I'm also really wanting to get my real rims on the truck.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

The radials will be better to drive on. The bias will be harsher ride with less grip. You will get less life from a belted tire than a radial and they are less forgiving on alignment than a radial is. If I was going to really drive it, I would go radial. If it's going to be a period correct show piece I would go belted.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

If i lived in cold climate, i would not run bias ply, they flat spot from sitting and are bumpy as hell ,untill they warm up and go back to ROUND, i had an old jeep with bias ply and hatted them :2cents:
With all the time and money in that babie .... Get her a nice set of new shoes that will run Smooth

Danny
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

I'm going to vote for bias ply. I have a set on my 56 wagon (I know not a truck) and the car drives better than my modern DD. The car sits for weeks at a time and I haven't noticed the flat spots as mentioned. Not saying it doesn't happen though. Also if your truck has manual steering you will appreciate the bias ply tire. And last but not least you just can't duplicate the classic look of a bias. The Coker radials are close but as you mentioned, very pricey.
Every day above ground is a good one
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Flat spots are more a nylon cord thing. They were the worst at flat spotting.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!