66-352 replacing all gaskets

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

66-352 replacing all gaskets

Post by Mr. Jones »

The engine has a rusted thru freeze plug....wanna pull and replace all of them.While it's out redo intake valve covers,oil pan,timing cover,etc...questions are how many freeze plugs on it,best way to seal rear of intake manifold and valve covers using fel-pro cork...redid intake about 4/5 years ago and lasted about a year.....any info is appreciated so give me your best shot what works,what doesn't....especially on the intake and also need info for rear main seal want to replace top and bottom....and what are the best sealants to use and where...
Thanks Guys,
Dan
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: 66-352 replacing all gaskets

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

done a lot of those.
skip the cork or rubber intake seals and use a bead of rtv sealant.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Flatiron7
United States of America

Post by Flatiron7 »

I am in the process of replacing cam bearings on my 66 352. The freeze plugs came as a kit, along with the cap for the rear of the cam. ( back of block) I got the brass ones. Don't know if they are any better.

Good luck
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Mr. Jones wrote:The engine has a rusted thru freeze plug....wanna pull and replace all of them.While it's out redo intake valve covers,oil pan,timing cover,etc...questions are how many freeze plugs on it,best way to seal rear of intake manifold and valve covers using fel-pro cork...redid intake about 4/5 years ago and lasted about a year.....any info is appreciated so give me your best shot what works,what doesn't....especially on the intake and also need info for rear main seal want to replace top and bottom....and what are the best sealants to use and where...
Thanks Guys,
Dan
I don't used the china wall gaskets myself but an old school trick was to ding up the intake and block surfaces with a center punch. The dings would etch into the gasket and lock it in. The coreect size freeze plugs are 1 49/64". Years ago I had a few of the 1 3/4" pop out but I was not as thorough 20 years ago. Coated with blue loctite the engine I have now has had 1 3/4" in for a couple of years now. Places like Brent Lynks, Blair Patrick ect have complete engine block plug kits in just about any configuration. At one time Survival Motorsports had a kit to screw in brass freeze plugs to a regular FE. I recomend you do research first on fordfe.com. You can find these suppliers in the "Links" link.
Chris
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

chris401 wrote:
Mr. Jones wrote:The engine has a rusted thru freeze plug....wanna pull and replace all of them.While it's out redo intake valve covers,oil pan,timing cover,etc...questions are how many freeze plugs on it,best way to seal rear of intake manifold and valve covers using fel-pro cork...redid intake about 4/5 years ago and lasted about a year.....any info is appreciated so give me your best shot what works,what doesn't....especially on the intake and also need info for rear main seal want to replace top and bottom....and what are the best sealants to use and where...
Thanks Guys,
Dan
I don't used the china wall gaskets myself but an old school trick was to ding up the intake and block surfaces with a center punch. The dings would etch into the gasket and lock it in. The coreect size freeze plugs are 1 49/64". Years ago I had a few of the 1 3/4" pop out but I was not as thorough 20 years ago. Coated with blue loctite the engine I have now has had 1 3/4" in for a couple of years now. Places like Brent Lynks, Blair Patrick ect have complete engine block plug kits in just about any configuration. At one time Survival Motorsports had a kit to screw in brass freeze plugs to a regular FE. I recomend you do research first on fordfe.com. You can find these suppliers in the "Links" link.
When I pulled my 66 352 out last summer I had the same issue. Apparently, the correct freeze plugs are obsolete and the replacements are 1 3/4" which I got from NAPA. I did locate the correct 1 49/64" plugs later at rockauto.com. I had already installed the steel ones I had gotten at NAPA but since I had the correct brass ones I knocked em out, coated with Indian head shellac and installed. No issues with them.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Might want to consider the silicone valve cover gaskets. Seal them to the valve covers with silicone sealant and use a slight coating of oil on the bottom side to allow for different expansion rates. If you are using stamped valve covers, might want to add the long distribution blocks to the bolts to spread the load and prevent warping the covers.