Body Drop on a '64

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Body Drop on a '64

Post by SteveCanup »

I have lowered my '64 about 5 inches in the rear and 4 1/2 in the front. I would love for it to be 2-3 inches lower, but I can't afford (and no time) to install a IFS or Crown Vic at this time. I have considered having Sid Drapal drop my axle, but that involves tearing the entire front end down, and having the truck out of commission for at least 2 weeks...and that might still be an option that I would consider. But I have 'leveled' my cab using large washers in conjunction with the original rubber cab mounts and installed fresh new grade 8 bolts. I have been thinking about taking the cab mounts out which are at least 2" thick and leave just one metal washer and one thin rubber washer. That would effectively lower the cab down over the frame by 2". I have already considered the steering column, which is not an issue and I have floor shifter, which is also not an issue. The only thing that I can see at this juncture would be the clutch pedal linkage, etc. As well as the radiator mounting. I can weld, so I'm thinking that this would just be a matter of lowering the body over the frame (they used to call this channeling...maybe still do). The bed is already sitting on wooden spacers as well and would not be an issue either. I'm sure that others have done this....any feedback?
1964 F-100
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: Body Drop on a '64

Post by unibody madness »

As much figuring as all that will take to get everything to line up, unbolting the four bolts that hold the springs in, the bolts that hold your steering box in and taking off your shocks and towers, sounds like a weekend project if you go sid's dropped front. not sure what motor you are running but ask what clearance it needs for the crown vic and you are still a weekend away from being back on the road.
Just get all your parts lined up like steering couplers and it is fairly straight forward thing to do if time is the problem
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I wasn't going to touch the steering except to remove the 'spacer bracket' under the dash to allow the steering wheel to move upward. I was going to remove the bolts one at a time that hold the cab rubbers in place...remove the cab rubber, reinsert the bolt and tighten down. I would have to move the radiator support downward the same amount (2") to get the fenders to line up correctly. If I can accomplish what I am thinking, then it would not cost me anything...it would give my truck a more 'lowered' appearance...and all it would take is the time to move everything. At least at this point, that is what I am thinking. Btw, Crown Vic front suspensions around here are going through the roof...the days of obtaining one for $150-200 are gone...gone...gone. Minimum $550 for one and most are going for $600+. I just don't have that kind of money right now....(who does? and if you do...send some my way so I can buy a new suspension...lol....). I like the ride and handling of my truck....I just want it a few inches lower....this seemed like a good way to accomplish that without a bunch of $$$$. Anyone out there dropped the body on your truck? If so, give me some feedback....Thanks!
1964 F-100
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Ya I get it, nothing stays cheap forever, you mentioned sid's is all, and that's not cheap either Dropping the body is the only way to go forthat kind of money, Good luck!
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

Hey Steve if you have any demolition derby guys in your area, they are a good source for crown vic front ends, Derby guys love the big crow vics and they just junk them when they are done, down here if your willing to pull them out they will let em go cheap most 200.00 or less :2cents: https://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/6060653776.html

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/p ... 52746.html dont know how far this guy is from you but look like he knows derby guys !!

Danny
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

Steve, I have laid under my 63 Uni, {possibly different than the 64", I don't know} for countless hours thinking about what would have to be changed in order to lower the body, and its doable, just have to move asst. items, but I don't see 2" being available...at most the bed would go down 1" {and this is all my truck has to offer} the radiator cradle is already on top of the frame, nothing between it and the frame!! my body is only 1" off the frame...not trying to discourage you, but try measuring again, not at the cab mounts but where the cab floor would touch the frame. Good luck and keep posting progress if you do lower it, with pics :wink:
Later
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

Oh, one other thing, check the bottom of your grille and the splash pan, on mine they sit 1/2" from the top of the frame..
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks! I do need to get under it and do some measuring. If an inch is all that I will gain...it's really not worth the time and trouble....
Here's where it sits now. I would love the have the front fenders down over the tires just a little bit.
1964 F-100
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

My 63 sits about the same as yours. I have reverse eye springs on the front and 5 leaves in the rear. The main reason I haven't done the body drop on mine is the radiator, because it sits right over the front crossmember and will not go down much at all, changing to a shorter rad just isn't in the books right now. Also cutting a notch in the frame rails for the grille to go down is a little bit too much for now. Then you have to fab brackets to re-attach the front bumper....the small hump needed to clear the C-6.....etc.