Gear change

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66camperspecial

Gear change

Post by 66camperspecial »

When I put my 66 togather I figured the 460 should be able to handle the 2.75 gears but with 31 inch tires on the rear it was a little slow to take off so today it got 3.00 gears and much better,now I have to figure out why the C-6 wants to shift into third too soon and I think my speedo is now much more closer to be correct.
Day 2

Re: Gear change

Post by Day 2 »

When you say "too soon" how too soon is it shifting? Mine varies depending on how far my foot is buried in it. Under "normal" take off it comes in at about 50mph..

EDIT: Heres something I read on FTE that might help.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9107 ... ost8317914
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

If I recall correctly, the shifting in the c-6 is actuated by the vacuum modulator. Check this out: http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/t ... oo+early--
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Related to the spedometer, a free program such as Waze for your phone included a GPS based speed indicator.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
66camperspecial

Post by 66camperspecial »

Its in third by 20,I fought this trans since I put it in and when it had 3.54 gears it was in third by 10 so I adjusted the modulator until it was all the way in and adjusted the loose intermdiate band which helped and was ok with the 2.75 gears but I need to do something about it now. I was told use use a modulator with a purple stripe and will look into longer push rods too if that does not work.
Greyizhip
United States of America

Post by Greyizhip »

66camperspecial wrote:Its in third by 20,I fought this trans since I put it in and when it had 3.54 gears it was in third by 10 so I adjusted the modulator until it was all the way in and adjusted the loose intermdiate band which helped and was ok with the 2.75 gears but I need to do something about it now. I was told use use a modulator with a purple stripe and will look into longer push rods too if that does not work.
That is the reason you're getting slow takeoff, not so much to do with the diff ratio as with your shift points. The 460 should pull strong even with the 2.75 if it has a chance to get into its torque range b4 shifting. If you wanna get off the dime quicker, a torque converter swap, one with a higher RPM engagement, would help.
"If moderation is a fault, then indifference is a crime." Jack Kerouac

‘66 F-100 long bed, 352, 3 on the tree, original numbers matching.

[/b]