Air Conditioning

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

agjames96
United States of America

Re: Air Conditioning

Post by agjames96 »

I've seen pics with an underdash unit that was a ford dealer install item like I had in a Mustang. Anyone have experience with those?
1964 F100 Flareside, all original w/ Y Block 292
Jason_S
United States of America

Post by Jason_S »

agjames96 wrote:I've seen pics with an underdash unit that was a ford dealer install item like I had in a Mustang. Anyone have experience with those?
My experience with underdash units (and most aftermarket units) is they work sufficiently well to cool the cab. It wouldn't be dissimilar to the cooling on a 60's Mustang underdash A/C.

I wouldn't compare them to factory installed A/C, even from the early 70's. Distribution and blower air volume is sufficient, but not spectacular. On a hot day however, driving with any cold air blowing is better than windows open and hot air.

With older underdash units, one issue to consider is that they were designed to use R-12 refrigerant. They will work okay with R-134, but R-12 was (at least in my opinion) much better. A larger condenser, perhaps supplemented with additional airflow from an auxiliary electric fan, can help to improve cooling when using R-134.
"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

1964 F-100, 223/3-spd
aj64f100390-292
United States of America

Post by aj64f100390-292 »

grump wrote:that looks good and stock.
how much of the glove box did you lose...pics?
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
-Back on the road since jan '17
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

They will work okay with R-134, but R-12 was (at least in my opinion) much better. A larger condenser, perhaps supplemented with additional airflow from an auxiliary electric fan, can help to improve cooling when using R-134
I think this is a must with R134. Ive done this conversion on both the mustang and the blue slick. Both had 'multi flow' R134 condensers which is quite different in appearance to the R12 unit. The R12 looked just like a big transmission cooler. Both cool quite well however.
The slick had electric radiator fans which had an a/c trigger switch, the mustang still uses the clutch fan. Ive had the system pressure become too high and leak in the mustang twice and both times I was told there was insufficient cooling of the gas when stationary (Lack of fan!)
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

If my photo bucket is still working...

This was my under dash unit... There isn't enough room in the slicks cab to hide a concealed unit unless you can find something with a bend in it (They do exist for 5 windows couples etc)
They do take up a lot of room, but it cooled very well. Slick #2 was a floor shifter and this unit wouldn't work with a floor shifter at all.