Neep some help on a dipstick tube 66 -240

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slickmainer
United States of America

Neep some help on a dipstick tube 66 -240

Post by slickmainer »

I have my friends 66 F100 2wd with a 240 (code A). i went to check the oil and the whole tube came off in my hand. It had some spray foam looking stuff on the end of it.

I don't know if it broke off and part is in the pan thread or what it's even supposed to look like. The dipstick has a part code from 1982, and there is no tab way to attach it to the block.

does anyone have a photo of the tube going into the pan? is there a nut that threads into the pan and that is how it is supported?

the nut stayed in the pan the tube came out

this was the dipstick in it

thanks Gregg
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Neep some help on a dipstick tube 66 -240

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Gregg
pretty sure the end of the tube is supposed to have a flare on it so as not to pull out of the nut. just guessing but it may have been shortened and the goo put on to accomodate the 80s dipstick.

the pic shows only the top end, not sure if yours is the same length
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

i got the old goo off the tube and it is smooth, no ridges or flares to hold a o ring or anything so i think you are right. Im trying some jbweld to get the tube to hold to the nut that is there. if that doesn't work i guess i'll try hitting the junk yard to find an original 240 tube.
--Gregg--
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I put an o ring on mine and tightened it down. I also flared the end with a screwdriver. It neither moves nor leaks. I also put a bracket on the tube near the top bolted to the lifter cover. Here is a picture, you might be able to see better what I am talking about with the bracket. I don't think you need one, I just felt weird with an unsupported dipstick tube.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

easy to make a new tube out of 5/16 brake line, already has the nut and flare just get it longer than needed and use a tubing cutter on the top end after careful measuring of correct length.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:easy to make a new tube out of 5/16 brake line, already has the nut and flare just get it longer than needed and use a tubing cutter on the top end after careful measuring of correct length.
That crossed my mind right after I posted. The o ring that I put on the tube between the flare and the nut is working still so I am not going to bother changing it.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

Think I got it fixed with some metal putty. should hold till a replacement tube and stick is found for her.
--Gregg--
kelwar

Post by kelwar »

That oil pan is off of an 80's ford ( or possibly someone put a 300 in out of an 80s truck) the 240s and early 300 have a short dipstick tube in the block. There should be a hole with what looks like a tiny frost plug, the original dip stick should go there.
stswartz
United States of America

Post by stswartz »

My 65 240 has a 13 inch dip stick and the tube is only 3 inches long. It is also located between the distributer and the fuel pump filter. there we not any part numbers on the dip stick
Steve
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

The basic part number for a dipstick tube is 6754. Check eBay occasionally for NOS 6754 to see if one comes up.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.