Them ol radiator blues

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

Them ol radiator blues

Post by Mr. Jones »

This first picture is out in front of my house.Thursday afternoon I was driving home and just past where the street curves there came one those "Oh!Shit!!"noises from my truck.Sounded like metal on the flywheel,when I stopped so did the noise,started moving more noise,turned it off and rolled down to the house.
This is what I found,two bolts missing on drivers side....how the hell does that happen??
And the damage done.......left side is new right side happened back in 95,rolled down a hill into a tree.Glad about the tree,next stop would of been the pond.
Always try and keep a spare of everything.This one has been sitting in the corner forever.
Last year this one was in a radiator shop for three weeks,every time I called,"l haven't time to look at it."Finally went in to talk to this guy,"That's to old we can't work on it,I can sell you a new one for $485.00......sure you can.....
Luckily I have one of these,runs on propane
Or go totally medieval and use one of these
My favorite....
Found a seam that had popped,decided on propane.Gets hot in a couple minutes.Cleaned the area with a wire wheel and laid in a new solder bead.
Finished,took a couple minutes....
Added some bling to the fan.
While mounting the fan,noticed some play in the water pump.Had a spare in the basement,cleaned it up and installed..
Found out why that water pump has been laying around for years,the snout is to large for the pulleys.Napa will have one for me tomorrow.
And that ended the day,time for a cold one.....stay tuned for part 2....
How was your Sunday?
Dan
9Fingers
United States of America

Re: Them ol radiator blues

Post by 9Fingers »

Sorry for your Radiator woes, but it looks like you were prepared and took it in stride. My day was spent doing yard work, no time for the slick, but time set aside tomorrow evening. A couple of things caught my eye in your pictures. One is the fan shroud. What make model did that come from, 73-79 f150? And related to that is your six a 240 or 300, looks like a 2 groove sheave on the balancer? How many rows of cooling flues are in your radiator? Just trying to figure how to set up my 300. The 240 I had in a short bed years ago, never seemed to warm up good in the winter. And finally, what is that piece of 1x4 wood on the drivers side for?

Thanks, Bradshaw
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

I really enjoyed your story and admire your response to adversity. These old Fords will test your mettle.
William-in-St. George
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Looks like you've got the tools for the job Dan! It's a lost art. :cheers:
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Here's what made it all happen
Picked up and installed the new water pump yesterday and new hardware for the radiator
Ran it for twenty minutes last nite,no leaks.Must of done it right.I'll find out today it's going back to work.
Dan
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Looks familiar.

Hate those things. I won't even say their name... :cussing: