Replace those old flexible brake lines!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FORDification
United States of America

Replace those old flexible brake lines!

Post by FORDification »

Part of bringing my '62 back to life after sitting in a field for 22-ish years is completely rebuilding the brake system...everything, all new parts. I got the front brakes done today, new shoes, brake cylinders, hardware, drums and flexible lines. I decided to cut the old flexible lines in half and see what they looked like inside. Here's what I found. These things have swelled to the point that the inside was barely larger than a toothpick! :shock:

Keith
FORDification.info | FORDification.com | FORDification.net
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
William-in-St George

Re: Replace those old flexible brake lines!

Post by William-in-St George »

Yes. Stopping is way more important than going. Having a good look at the steel lines is also a good idea, as these are susceptible to damage and rust.
William-in-St. George
FORDification
United States of America

Post by FORDification »

Yep! I was actually going to try to get away with using the original steel lines, but when I removed the rear flexible line tonight, the coupler was fused to the line...so when I twisted the coupler, the line twisted too...and twisted in two! Oh well, they were questionable anyway, I'll go ahead and replace all the steel lines while I'm at it. At least I can then say everything on the brake system is brand new.

After I removed the rear flexible line, I cut it in half too, and compared it to the front line pictured above. It's not as bad. (Front line is on the left, rear line is on the right.)

Keith
FORDification.info | FORDification.com | FORDification.net
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
61sleepercab
United States of America

Post by 61sleepercab »

I had a Dodge Ares K cook a caliper and shoes, the rubber line went through a bracket holder that had swelled with rust and prevented the fluid from returning once the brakes were released.