Hood worth saving, Or new hood?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

aj64f100390-292
United States of America

Hood worth saving, Or new hood?

Post by aj64f100390-292 »

When my 64 was torn down...I made the mistake of leaving my hood in the bed...I let my tarp get too much water in it and it bent down in the middle.. :bangin: heres my hood now...it doesn't have any cancer really...except some on both rear corner braces. Part of this is hinges needing kadjustment I think.. but its not the original good...dad found this one back when he got the truck..the original had a nasty dent in the middle of the hood up front..but It dousnt have cancer in the front yet..so it has that going for it I guess, but the the rear brace not touching the hood skin really concerns me...

Stress crack..

Thanks in advanced
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
-Back on the road since jan '17
ratrapp

Re: Hood worth saving, Or new hood?

Post by ratrapp »

hoods are getting hard to find in decent shape for these trucks.at least in my area they are.as far as I know they don't make an aftermarket replacement.i looked for a good while before I found a decent hood.it had rust in the front but the support piece was in decent shape.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I would use that hood. To get it to close properly at the back, put one or two (or even more) washers under the front hinge to hood bolt. Make sure that the washers are between the hinge and the hood. That usually will pull the hood down. Just my :2cents:
1964 F-100
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

That brace has a type of fiber between it and the hood. Long gone I suppose. You can slide in a replacement (asphalt shingle) or something similar. As far as the brace goes, drill the spot welds and take it to the bench for repairs. NBD. A tiedown strap can be used to restore the proper contour to the hood, including the one that has the big dent. Rust is the most difficult to repair and yours seems too be relatively rust free. I'd fix it. MOFWIW
William-in-St. George
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I use plastic shims you can get at any home store. For some reason almost any time a hood is removed, they never sit right in the back after being re-installed. As our Utah friend says you have to move the front part of the hood hinge lower to lower the rear edge of the hood.
aj64f100390-292
United States of America

William-in-St George wrote:That brace has a type of fiber between it and the hood. Long gone I suppose. You can slide in a replacement (asphalt shingle) or something similar. As far as the brace goes, drill the spot welds and take it to the bench for repairs. NBD. A tiedown strap can be used to restore the proper contour to the hood, including the one that has the big dent. Rust is the most difficult to repair and yours seems too be relatively rust free. I'd fix it. MOFWIW
its still there amazingly..obviously n
needs shims now.. :lol:
Last edited by aj64f100390-292 on May 12, 2017, 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
aj64f100390-292
United States of America

bruceandersson wrote:I use plastic shims you can get at any home store. For some reason almost any time a hood is removed, they never sit right in the back after being re-installed. As our Utah friend says you have to move the front part of the hood hinge lower to lower the rear edge of the hood.
ok thanks, Ill have to try and adjust when I get time...I may mess with it saterday..