Wanting a Y block Motorcraft distributor..duraspark II

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

aj64f100390-292
United States of America

Wanting a Y block Motorcraft distributor..duraspark II

Post by aj64f100390-292 »

I found 2 on flea bay and they think theyre worth $150-$200...but ive been trting to get a 302 dspk II distrib. , whats the ins and outs of using the 302 distributor housing with the 292 lower shaft, online no one was specific about it, it was mentioned but not discussed, OI think the fe dizzys wont work..I had 2 motocraft housings lying around and they don't fit in the block..but were almost sure they are fe..so if I can't find a decent priced block motorcraft, what alls involved in using my shaft in a 302 distributor...Im geting annoyed with how it seems like any part thats better than one part on y blocks no one seems to make them...makes no sense.. :argue: :cussing:
Thanks in advanced
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
-Back on the road since jan '17
charliemccraney

Re: Wanting a Y block Motorcraft distributor..duraspark II

Post by charliemccraney »

You need a Motorcraft Y-Block distributor and a Duraspark distributor. Take the lower stuff, shaft / gear, etc. from the Y-Block distributor, put it in the Duraspark distributor. Use the upper stuff, advance plate, mechanism, etc of the Duraspark distributor.

You cannot do this if you are starting with an Autolite Y-Block distributor. You can make the Autolite work but it requires a little custom machining and the advance mechanism is not very easy to work with for tuning changes. Motorcraft is much better for tuning, which you want to do.

You can also simply take the upper stuff from the Duraspark distributor and drop it right in place in a Motorcraft Y-Block distributor. Then you simply notch the distributor body for the wiring grommet, just like the Duraspark distributor.

Remember, simply swapping stuff does not make a rebuilt distributor. $150-$200 is a great price, if the distributor is upgraded AND rebuilt. If that price is simply for a conversion, then it is pretty high.
Last edited by charliemccraney on May 12, 2017, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
aj64f100390-292
United States of America

[quote="charliemccraney"]You need a Motorcraft Y-Block distributor and a Duraspark distributor. Take the lower stuff, shaft / gear, etc. from the Y-Block distributor, put it in the Duraspark distributor. Use the upper stuff, advance plate, mechanism, etc of the Duraspark distributor.

You cannot do this if you are starting with an Autolite Y-Block distributor. You can make the Autolite work but it requires a little custom machining and the advance mechanism is not very easy to work with for tuning changes. Motorcraft is much better for tuning, which you want to do.

You can also simply take the upper stuff from the Duraspark distributor and drop it right in place in a Motorcraft Y-Block distributor. Then you simply notch the distributor body for the wiring grommet, just like the Duraspark distributor.

Remember, simply swapping stuff does not make a rebuilt distributor. $150-$200 is a great price, if the distributors are upgraded AND rebuilt. If that price is simply for a conversion, then it is pretty high.[/quote
Thanks, I knew about the autolite being modified to make it work..but if I need the t block motorcraft shaft...I might as well get a motorcraft dizzy and take the top end parts out of my 390s dspk II distributor, but weve checked around the local stores...theyre all autolite remanufactured...heck orileys computer said the the 302 was the same part # and would jnterchange, we knew better but had them bring it it none the less, and obviously the shaft was to short..so I need to come up with a y block motorcraft dizzy pretty quick..my 390 is fouling a plug on cylinder 1 weekly..so its going down hill..any one have one?... I would hate to pay that much for the ones off flea bay and not be able to know just how worn out they are...
Last edited by aj64f100390-292 on May 14, 2017, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Here is a
Re-manufactured distributor by vintage-torque that is the model you are looking for, they are otherwise hard to find and its a matter of luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-y-Block-27 ... Sw3ydV3MXB

They can also build exactly what you want with the DSII trigger. They are not cheap but the quality is there.
Or you can buy a 150.00 china built one and take your chances.
I had them build the re-curved one shown and plan on converting the plates myself. Best to contact them first.
I will not be able to tell you if it's any better than the Pertronix until I set mine up, but the dizzy is the real deal
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
aj64f100390-292
United States of America

unibody madness wrote:Here is a
Re-manufactured distributor by vintage-torque that is the model you are looking for, they are otherwise hard to find and its a matter of luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-y-Block-27 ... Sw3ydV3MXB

They can also build exactly what you want with the DSII trigger. They are not cheap but the quality is there.
Or you can buy a 150.00 china built one and take your chances.
I had them build the re-curved one shown and plan on converting the plates myself. Best to contact them first.
I will not be able to tell you if it's any better than the Pertronix until I set mine up, but the dizzy is the real deal
thanks ok, that may be what I will go with, and just swap the internals. I think I saw this one but I must have missed the remanufactured part ,due to being anoyed that there wasnt many of these to be had..but Maybe its a different one..but what matters is that its remanufactured :D
unibody madness
United States of America

you need to make sure its the one for the 1964 y-block that is pictured in the e bay ad I posted with the rolled shoulders, not the one with the 45, Tell him you plan on doing the internal swap,and what you have done to your motor. It helps to have access to a Sun machine. there is a great post on yblocksforever.com on the dizzy swap
Turk build thread at:

aj64f100390-292
United States of America

unibody madness wrote:you need to make sure its the one for the 1964 y-block that is pictured in the e bay ad I posted with the rolled shoulders, not the one with the 45, Tell him you plan on doing the internal swap,and what you have done to your motor. It helps to have access to a Sun machine. there is a great post on yblocksforever.com on the dizzy swap
unibody madness wrote:you need to make sure its the one for the 1964 y-block that is pictured in the e bay ad I posted with the rolled shoulders, not the one with the 45, Tell him you plan on doing the internal swap,and what you have done to your motor. It helps to have access to a Sun machine. there is a great post on yblocksforever.com on the dizzy swap
, ok thanks, I'll take a look, unfortunately seeings as my 390 is getting worse so fast I'm probably going to run the points for a while, BUT IT WILL GET DSPK II.
unibody madness
United States of America

I currently run the Pertronix in both a y-block and a 460 with 0 issues and no complaints. the conversion is the next step.
Turk build thread at:

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Petronix is easier and even if you have a worn distributor it doesn't seem to affect the performance. I run mine with the stock coil or a Petronix coil. I have nothing bad to say about one. I've installed one in nearly every Ford engine I've driven and or worked on that had points, and have seen instant improvement in the engines running. Simpler and cheaper in most instances.