T98 output shaft-speedo gr types? speedo gear ratio adaper

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

aj64f100390-292
United States of America

T98 output shaft-speedo gr types? speedo gear ratio adaper

Post by aj64f100390-292 »

Hey guys, my y block is close to being able to be assembled..but my speedometer is off, and I've already changed the driven gear to the smallest number of teeth yiu can get-18 tooth. And when I remove my 390 I'm wanting to remove and paint my t98, after replaceing the rear seal, and get the odometer right so that when I build my final y block, I can know exactly, or real close to how many miles I've put on it. So I'm wondring what tailshaft/ speedometer drive gears there are to choose from, because dads pretty sure the last time he had the back end of the t98 apart that the drive gear was made to the tail shaft..-if I'm remembering his wording right-I'll double check this evening and change my post if I am. And it uses the steel speedo driven gear, Ill post pictures as soon as I can but it uses an identical speedo gear as my t98 laying around out of my 62 f600 floor doner truck. So can I change it to a more common speedometer gear set up cheaper than what it would cost me to just get a speedometer gear ratio adapter? On ebay I found one person selling new ones for 83 bucks ranging from +11%-+100%. Right now 40 is 45, the speedometer starts reading inacurate a little before that but it starts reading a 1/2 mile per hour off...if im not mistaken but I probably better double check with my speedometer gps app one more time.

Thanks in advanced
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
-Back on the road since jan '17
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: T98 output shaft-speedo gr types? speedo gear ratio adap

Post by bobenhotep »

Does anyone know if a t98 can run a speedo gear off of a t18 or t19? If you could run the later gear you would have a lot of options.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

bruceandersson

Re: T98 output shaft-speedo gr types? speedo gear ratio adap

Post by bruceandersson »

If you already have the smallest gear, you will need the head repaired. There is either too much resistance or too little magnetic charge. A good speedo shop can address either.