y block paint colors..ford red or old ford blue?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

aj64f100390-292
United States of America

y block paint colors..ford red or old ford blue?

Post by aj64f100390-292 »

hey guys, I'm about a week or two out on my y block, and I've been throwing ford red or blue around for months, but its not like there's the best pictures of the blue on google...
Ya know on one hand most people don't have a red ford engine...but then again I don't see a lot of people painting a y block blue either..Ill post some pics tomorrow, I've painted up a valve cover with dupli color "old ford blue" 1621...I would gladly paint it to match the truck..but this is a backyard engine build..so Im looking for colors I can pick up quickly..haven't seen ford red at Oreilly's..they have it on the website though. just not sure what will look the best in my 64. but in the end this is just the daily worthy engine for it...not the final hi performance y block so if I don't like it I can always paint that engine another color.

Any ideas are appreciated guys...lets see those y blocks! 8)
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
-Back on the road since jan '17
Day 2

Re: y block paint colors..ford red or old ford blue?

Post by Day 2 »

Between the two colors you chose, I like the red best for a Y block...But BLACK would be MY color choice.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Paint it the color that you like best but they never came in blue. Here are some of my choices:

any auto store should have engine paint in a spray can, make sure you degrease it well, wipe it down with acetone last, and let it dry, heat the metal with sweating torch to rid of moisture before painting...you can see it weeping and drying so do not over heat metal, use a ceramic oaint on headers and intake.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

That grey w/red looks good. I've seen some yellow ones that are sharp as well. But in the end its your choice.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Can we take a sidetrack on this thread and also talk about paint that will retain the just painted look? These pics all look great, but how does the different engine paint hold up to the heat and abuse of being run? I don't think I've found that paint yet and have tried the sprays as well as some brush on.

I've always used red, but most of my y-blocks have been 55-57 which were not really red, but that's the paint you can find. They were originally an orange/red. Earlier ones were yellow, not sure about later ones.

I agree overall that it only needs to please the owner.
Chazilla64
United States of America

Post by Chazilla64 »

Anybody use por15 engine enamel. Mine is black with ford red valve covers. Thinking going with Ford red on the block with Mooneyes valve covers and my 1st generation blue Thunder intake.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

My paint held up pretty good except the intake exhaust cross over. There has been a lot of touch up,which is how I know to degrease,wipe down with acetone,and sweat the moisture out before painting. like I said,use ceramic high heat for manifolds but the 500* heat engine holds up for the block and tins, It does chip easily though.
Red is a difficult color irregardless of application, the original color of my engines was black with red tins but I went with the old ford grey w/red tins,and ford red w/black tins on my two y-blocks in order to spot oil leaks easier
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I use Duplicolor with their primer underneath and their clearcoat over. Engine temp is intended to cure it all which sometimes makes it a little touchy installing. Have also shot Metallic gold undershot and then FORD red over. gives the red a nice subtle glow. However my 64 f-100 was issued black with red tin covers. It now has aluminum TBird VC's. and ram's horns.
Blue came on later ford passenger 292's and Fred Jones FORD factory rebuilt engines I believe. And of course other later engines used ford blue.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

here's a couple examples of mine.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ytvrQ-8fXcU[/youtube]

Sorry, can't figure out how to upload the video from photobucket!

Also wanted to say I painted this one satin Blaack. The latest version on you tube Is Gloss Black with clear. I like it better
And here is the TBird.

skidoorulz
United States of America

Post by skidoorulz »

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx10 ... 0_2426.jpg
Here is mine. It is Duplicolor Ford red and was bought at Oreilley auto. They stock it on the shelf. Originally it was all balack except the valve covers they were Ford Red
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

factory for the 61-64 y block and 6 was red covers with black block.
i do like the red/gray best as the gray makes spotting leaks easier and it just looks good imo
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
aj64f100390-292
United States of America

That engine posted above looks great, would have replyed ssoner, but ive heen in a grind on the 292 all week..its painted, and seeings as if I wanted to try somthing else later I went with old ford blue, as it was easy to get in my area, and I dont see to many doen in that color, also how long will the engine paint with ceramic last on a manifold...im lost on that, as dupli colirs is good up to 600°...and those get alot hotter than that..my father has used paint that said it was good up to 1600°..lasted a few months at most..dad thought about just reapplieing stove black polish on them every so often..I will post pics and a buold thread soon..
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
aj64f100390-292
United States of America

Ok more pics showed up they all look great...then again most engines when painted up right I supoose..but the nice thing is that as long as it stays sealed up and clean ,I could probably repaint it in a weekend if I change my mind..worst case senerio though..personally..old Ford blue is growing on me...I think with some chome or allumanum valve covers it will really pop, but that will all come in time though..but at the end of the day theres no shame in doing somthing different..well in some cases Inguess there could be
:)

Would've took better pics if id remembered...had a week to work with with dad on vacation so..we took advantage of it as much as possible