64 F250 - which clutch kit?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dvotion

64 F250 - which clutch kit?

Post by dvotion »

I need a new clutch. LMC offers an 11" and 12" clutch kit. How do I know which is the right choice? '64 F250, 292, T98 4-spd.

Thanks!
-Grant
bruceandersson

Re: 64 F250 - which clutch kit?

Post by bruceandersson »

I think the only safe way would be to measure what you have. There is no telling what changes have occurred to any of these vehicles in their 50+ yrs.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Your signature doesn't say where you're located, but I'm sitting here wondering why you would want to order a clutch from somewhere else, then find out it's wrong and have to pay to ship it back. Even if the initial cost is slightly higher (which it shouldn't be if you shop around locally before dropping the $$), it will still be much less of an inconvenience to drive over to a local parts vendor & exchange it rather than to be shipping parts back......

Just my $0.02 CDN :wink:

James
fire704

Post by fire704 »

My 64 F250 with 292 and T98 has 12" clutch. I too recommend buying local. I've found LMC has poor quality and can be difficult. I am curious of your vin. My truck is early 64. VIN 450053.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

bruceandersson wrote:I think the only safe way would be to measure what you have. There is no telling what changes have occurred to any of these vehicles in their 50+ yrs.
i agree

generally speaking the 12" were used on the bigger trucks but in the 50 year span nothing is to be guessed at. since they are not interchangeable on the flywheels (only 1 set of boltholes for the cover) dont order without measuring.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
sixtytwo

Post by sixtytwo »

The six (223) used the smaller clutch. The only difference in the flywheel was the clutch mounting holes so either flywheel could be used or exchanged and a machine shop can drill and tap new holes. The bell housings all contain the rear motor mounts. (Only one in front of engine) The rear had bolt patterns for a three speed or four and five speeds. The engine side had two bolt patterns. the two top holes are noticeably closer on the six cylinder housing. There are four different bell housings used from the fifties to 1964. The small block (289 302 etc.) is supposed to bolt to the 223 housing but I've never tried it. Not sure if the flywheel bolt pattern is the same either.
dvotion

Post by dvotion »

fire704 wrote:My 64 F250 with 292 and T98 has 12" clutch. I too recommend buying local. I've found LMC has poor quality and can be difficult. I am curious of your vin. My truck is early 64. VIN 450053.
Thanks. Agreed they are usually crap but ordering stuff online IS sometimes easier than going to a location.
jamesdfo wrote:Your signature doesn't say where you're located, but I'm sitting here wondering why you would want to order a clutch from somewhere else, then find out it's wrong and have to pay to ship it back. Even if the initial cost is slightly higher (which it shouldn't be if you shop around locally before dropping the $$), it will still be much less of an inconvenience to drive over to a local parts vendor & exchange it rather than to be shipping parts back......

Just my $0.02 CDN :wink:

James
That's the whole point here - to determine which kit before I order... Which it sounds like is a process to do in my garage.

Thanks for the answers, I was hoping it was a definite answer, but it sounds like it requires some investigation.

-Grant
Andyman

Post by Andyman »

For me I ended up needing a different flex plate than expected when ordering my clutch, that was also too big. I ended up having to piece things together from 2 different kits to get the right clutch, to bearing and flex plate. Luckily my flywheel was okay to be resurfaced! I would also suggest buying local as it will likely take some back and forth.