Torque Splitter Transmission

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

9Fingers
United States of America

Torque Splitter Transmission

Post by 9Fingers »

Hello everyone,

Does anyone here have good or bad experience with the Ranger Torque Splitter transmission?

Installs in front of your manual transmission, will give you gear splits when you need them towing or pulling long grades, and it serves as an overdrive at 27% over.

I've been reading up on them, some say noisy whining sound, others have had quiet units.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, good or bad.

Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
bruceandersson

Re: Torque Splitter Transmission

Post by bruceandersson »

I've not used one, but did look at them a few years ago. I decided to just get an O/D transmission instead as it was an easier installation. It was also much less expensive. This did not address getting a heavy load moving, but did reduce the highway revs.
64fordf100292v8

Post by 64fordf100292v8 »

Little late to reply maybe but I installed one in my truck when i did a Cummins 4bt install with a NP435 trans. Been chugging along now for 5 years and no problems, shifts great! put about 15,000 miles on it so far.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Mine was delivered last week. I hope to get it installed this weekend, need to move the chainfall and support so its over the transmission and transfer case. And drop a support down to hold the rear of the engine. I've got a piece of square tubing to fab another cross member to support the transmission/transfer case. Got to leave the original in place as the radius arm supports are bolted to it.

What year truck did you swap the Cummins into?

Does your Ranger have a noticeable whine or noise when in overdrive?

Thanks for the reply.
64fordf100292v8

Post by 64fordf100292v8 »

Hello again, my truck is a 64 f100 with 64 f250 brakes, axles and springs. my unit is quiet other than a little whine when slowing down in gear with it in overdrive. I followed the break-in instructions and only use Amsoil GL-4 gear oil in it like they want.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

That's good to hear. I've got it in place and working out a second version of the cross member between the np435 and np205. I will be sure to follow the break-in instructions and then use the oil they supplied with the unit.

Thank you for the information.