FE 390 governor at WOT!??? Help.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Andy fox
United States of America

FE 390 governor at WOT!??? Help.

Post by Andy fox »

While coming home from the car show today I was getting on the on-ramp in 3rd gear. (4spd) need more speed so I went WOT and it accelerated some then lost power, maintained speed,rpms went up slowly but motor sounded like it was rapping up much faster. It does this in 4th also. Doesn't matter which rpm I decide to go WOT. I can go as fast as I want in any gear under medium acceleration.

I've adjusted carb before and have just changed the oil? Runs great till WOT. Just thinking it's a carb adjustment? But it revs up to 4500rpms just fine. So maybe tranny? But then it's fine when not under WOT.
chris401
United States of America

Re: FE 390 governor at WOT!??? Help.

Post by chris401 »

Andy fox wrote:While coming home from the car show today I was getting on the on-ramp in 3rd gear. (4spd) need more speed so I went WOT and it accelerated some then lost power, maintained speed,rpms went up slowly but motor sounded like it was rapping up much faster. It does this in 4th also. Doesn't matter which rpm I decide to go WOT. I can go as fast as I want in any gear under medium acceleration.

I've adjusted carb before and have just changed the oil? Runs great till WOT. Just thinking it's a carb adjustment? But it revs up to 4500rpms just fine. So maybe tranny? But then it's fine when not under WOT.
If I understand correctly your engine is revving high but your not gaining speed to match? If so that is a clutch slipping.
Chris
Andy fox
United States of America

Post by Andy fox »

Yeah that's a possibility. But it's a new clutch. Also my Rpms aren't jumping high either. The will increase with the motor when the clutch is disengaged.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Check your accelerator pump. You should get a good squirt of gas when you open the throttle.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Andy fox wrote:Yeah that's a possibility. But it's a new clutch. Also my Rpms aren't jumping high either. The will increase with the motor when the clutch is disengaged.
A rust plugged line or a LMC fuel tank with the restrictive in tank line flare will give just enough fuel to ease into rpms.
Chris
Andy fox
United States of America

Post by Andy fox »

Finally got it!!! Secondary float was off!!!