Best Muffler for FEs? VIDEOS!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Andy fox
United States of America

Best Muffler for FEs? VIDEOS!

Post by Andy fox »

Im a big picky guy when it comes to exhaust notes. I have stock manifolds now with 2.5" piping and 14" long glass packs. And 3" tips straight out. Sounds real nice till it starts popping like crazy.

Plan is to get some Tri-Y headers,prochamber for the cross member, 3" exhaust slightly dumbed behind the rear wheels angled out behind the fender and I would realy love to go with magnaflow maybe borla mufflers. I want the deepest tone I can possibly get with no drone and a consentant note.

Motor is fresh 390 with 1800 miles. All stock

What do y'all have? Post your videos.
I've got other cool videos on my channel to for y'all to check out.

Here's mines currently.
https://youtu.be/GmVlqqLq1LI
bruceandersson

Re: Best Muffler for FEs? VIDEOS!

Post by bruceandersson »

gas being ignited in your exhaust is a trait of exhaust systems that have little to no back pressure. Some people love the pops and it bother some people. If you do not like the pops, you need to think about different mufflers.
Andy fox
United States of America

Post by Andy fox »

Realy nobody has nothing to show off here?
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

I had a 62 Galaxie with 2" maybe 1 3/4 exhaust....whatever the common size was back then...run straight off of cast iron manifolds with the pair of mufflers outboard of the rear axle under the trunk. This was the factory location for resonators. I basically had straight pipes with the class packs at the end. Past the glass packs was a short section of pipe and the tips exiting under the rear bumper. It sounded great. With the mufflers at the end it tended not to have that rolling pop on coasting.....if it did that noise was outside to the rear, not under the car.

In my opinion 3 inch pipe just does nor have the classic sound, neither does a flow master. While the 5.0 mustangs of the late 80-90s had their sound.....A 60s period bigblock with period hardware can sound so much better.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Andy fox wrote:, 3" exhaust slightly dumbed behind the rear wheels angled out behind the fender and I would realy love to go with magnaflow
I have 2 390's, both with stock exhaust manifolds and 3" exhaust.
They are both in cars, a 2 door and 4 door.

One has magnaflow and exits in front of the rear tires, I actually cannot stand the sound of magnaflow, do not like nor would I recommend.

Now, the other has straight pipes out the back, with unknown mufflers, I'll post a video of it later, and see if I can tell the make/brand of the mufflers.

As a kid, I always remember popping in the exhaust while decelerating could be caused by a few different things:
- exhaust leak, cracked pipe/manifold, blown gaskets
- worn/old camshaft
- too rich/timing incorrect
- all of the above
1964 Mercury short box 460 innies