door weatherstripping that fits

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ratrapp

door weatherstripping that fits

Post by ratrapp »

does anybody know who makes good fitting door weatherstripping for a 66?i got some from dennis carpenter but to be honest it fits awful around the top of the doors.i figured lmc probably wouldn't be any better.let me hear the reviews,thanks
Roger Carter
United States of America

Re: door weatherstripping that fits

Post by Roger Carter »

Never had a problem with Dennis Carpenter weather stripping. They are my first, and onl,y choice when it comes to weatherstrip materials

I have found the people at Carpenter's to be more than willing to help out when there is a problem. I would suggest calling them and talking specifics.

Good luck.
Roger Carter
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

honestly this is the first complaint i have heard about DC rubber. have used it several times and never had any issues. i have thrown away other brands due to poor quality including LMC.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

Got a set from D.C. And the fit was bad.
I cut parts of it out to try to make it fit.
I ordered another set and it fit fine.
I think the first set was packaged wrong.
The second set has been on my truck since 2010
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

I just got my set around march and they fit so bad around the top and edge of the doors.i don't know to try and order another set from them or try a different manufacturer.some of dc's stuff is great and some not so much.there floor pans fit extra nice but the cab mounts left a little to be desired but a little hammer and dolly work and they're in.windshield gaskets fit great but the door glass felt was awful but was better than nothing.i've got a new headliner from them still in the box so I hope it fits.
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

I noticed npd shows a good set for 60 but then they show nos style for 60 a door but only have the right side.anybody used these?
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

i got all my rubber from NPD i live about 45 miles from one ... and it was all Dennis carpenter.

Danny
grump

Post by grump »

Has any one used Steele products. They're supposed to be high quality, don't know if they have products for our trucks.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

At one time, LMC door rubbers were junk and not usable, I have not idea if this is still true, but LMC is in my consideration middle of the road quality and I only use their products when I have to. I have used Carpenters exclusively and had few if any problems. I believe any problems you have should be reported to Carpenter. I also believe that Carpenter has gotten so big that it may not be easy to do quality control. Many of the parts sold by the vendors are coming from other vendors, who may or may not be jobbing to an unknown supplier. Most of Carpenters rubbers were being made by Carpenter at one time. Now perhaps he may be jobbing some out when he runs low. My only other suggestion is that a lot of us are doing this for the first and possibly only time, and have no experience on how to install these parts. I find it is best to install the parts with the doors off and after these have been painted and are easy to work with.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

RICH Here is what I have seen so many times is that they cut the seals since they are trying to put them on the doors after the truck is all done and painted,, WRONG,, Doors need to be fitted first on truck to be sure all doors fit right,, Then paint doors install door seals then hang the doors,,, NOW BEWARE AND LOOOOK at your door bottoms because some doors where the wire and fasteners go might be smaller and have to be re-drilled to accept the seal at bottom of doors and also did you pay attention to see if any clips where on the doors along the sides since some trucks had clips around the seals around the doors as well and use 3M weather strip glue no other but that
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

i'm not even painting the truck.just trying to keep the water out.it has the original doors on it.they fit and shut great,just the seals at the top of door don't fit very well.the fit fine around the sides and bottom.i did use the 3m weatherstrip glue but that's really not the problem.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

you did not say if the doors where off or not before installing the seals +++ these trucks on doors have to fit good all around,, in other words does not make a difference primer or painted truck take the time to fine tooth all adjustments, then mark where everything needs to go and then door seals and then do the whole process over again,, also if the doors have ever been sprung, any kind of accident or repairs in the cab will throw things out of whack and then of course the door seals will have a issue,, of course could be a bad pair of door seals as well
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Could you be more specific as to what the problem around the top is?
Hard to add anything to help when it's not clear exactly what the problem is.....

It is not uncommon when installing new weatherstrips that the the door(s) will fit tight, I have had cases where we had to move the striker out, but after several months, the weatherstrips will compress slightly, allowing the strikers to be moved back where they need to be to have the door(s) close flush to the B pillar......

James

ratrapp wrote:does anybody know who makes good fitting door weatherstripping for a 66?i got some from dennis carpenter but to be honest it fits awful around the top of the doors.i figured lmc probably wouldn't be any better.let me hear the reviews,thanks
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

I marked the doors before I took them off and put the weatherstripping on and then reinstalled the doors.the problem is mainly at the front and rear of the top of the door.it bunch's up at the corners(not in the center).what was left of the old weatherstripping fit fine at the top,just wasn't much left of it.