windshield opening

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

grump

windshield opening

Post by grump »

Could some one who has their windshield out possibly tell me what the opening size is? I replaced my roof (thanks Bruce Anderson) at the rear seam and about half way on the pillars. The opening measured 20 5/8" on the passenger side and 20 1/2" on the drivers side before I did any cutting and I want to double check the measurements before I weld the pillar the rest of the way. Any help would be appreciated.
ponypoor
United States of America

Re: windshield opening

Post by ponypoor »

Mine is right at 20 1/2 on both sides.
64 Ranchero (has new owner)
65 F100 shortbed
66 Mustang (A code 289)
67 Bronco
grump

Post by grump »

Thank you, that's what I thought, quality control back then wasn't too precise.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Hi Grump - good talking to you yesterday. You may want to have your doors mounted for another reference point. As you mentioned these trucks were not 3/16" gapped from the factory. You might be able to adjust things a little to make the overall fit better.
grump

Post by grump »

I've got my doors in pretty decent shape, not that they were ever fit that well. Since the opening was 20 5/8 on the pass side and 20 1/2 on the drivers side I evened it out at 20 9/16 on both sides. I'm pretty sure 1/16 on these old trucks isn't going to make much difference in the fit of the windshield. Thanks for the advice Bruce, every bit helps.