Needing a y block rocker arm oil drip ear/spacer

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

aj64f100390-292
United States of America

Needing a y block rocker arm oil drip ear/spacer

Post by aj64f100390-292 »

Hey all, I'm a bit over half way there on my y block, All I need is odd and end parts: fail safe thermostat, belts, points, spark plug wires, and a few other small parts. but I thought I had found a full set of rocker arm oil drip ears/spacers when I was collecting parts for reassembling my rocker arms, but it seems one of them grew legs and walked... :mrgreen: So do any of you have one I could buy, I'm located in southwest Missouri , I'm about 30 minutes from Springfield. I've looked on ebay trying several different names for the part or rocker arm related parts and couldnt find anything.

Any helps appreciated
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
-Back on the road since jan '17
charliemccraney

Re: Needing a y block rocker arm oil drip ear/spacer

Post by charliemccraney »

Don't worry too much about finding them. They are not a necessity. They were phased out early in Y development, and your '64 actually would not have had them.

Performance wise, they can be a benefit because they tend to improve rocker geometry but that gets tricky because they also affect the rocker screw adjustment, if the same pushrods are used, which actually results in a reduced ratio. Bottom line, it's not wise to change one without the other, and it's not wise to make any changes that affect the rocker geometry blindly.

you're calling it a Boss 292. If you truly want it to live up to that, read up about rocker geometry. It's a fairly cheap modification you can do yourself to get that extra little bit out of the engine.

Here's a thread where I learned about it and finally got it done after several years.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic27235-1.aspx
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
aj64f100390-292
United States of America

charliemccraney wrote:Don't worry too much about finding them. They are not a necessity. They were phased out early in Y development, and your '64 actually would not have had them.

Performance wise, they can be a benefit because they tend to improve rocker geometry but that gets tricky because they also affect the rocker screw adjustment, if the same pushrods are used, which actually results in a reduced ratio. Bottom line, it's not wise to change one without the other, and it's not wise to make any changes that affect the rocker geometry blindly.

you're calling it a Boss 292. If you truly want it to live up to that, read up about rocker geometry. It's a fairly cheap modification you can do yourself to get that extra little bit out of the engine.

Here's a thread where I learned about it and finally got it done after several years.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic27235-1.aspx
Ok, Well then that may be a good thing...the rockers off that 64 f600 steel crank engine had the self locking adjustment screws, but when it came down to using them they were WAY too short...but Ill have to research the rocker geometry, but while I was calling it boss 292..it probably will be and won't be, because 'now granted my dad only ever dad old worn truck y blocks...and that was a total of two y blocks he messed with at all, but when compared to the 160hp truck engine...with matching valves...I'm not making a quarter miler out of it..so as long as it has enough power to squal tires on occasion and be a fun little engine that when my foots not in it...can get some ok mpgs without a throttle body 8) ...anything more is a bonus at this point. but I know I'll need to invest in either roller rockers or rebuilding mine at some point but we went through them carefully and got them worthy. now I just looked at the thread you sent me, it's long so I didn't go through it all yet but your using roller rockers-sweet BTW Hey if you decide you don't want those rockers...I'll take em off your hands lmao :wink: , But dad will know more about this than I will granted he said he knows a bit but has never studied it really. but nothing about the '57 ECG-Z heads with the 1.54 ratio rockers, now I don't have any push rods to play with so...the large diameter ones that are in it is what I have..
Now I know we can get something the same thickness of the other spacer/rails, and be the same height and width of the stands, but If I can get one I would much rather do that.
but I really don't want to loose any of the ratio that I have as I couldn't get a cam this time since my 390 throws oil and is burning it out the tailpipe when I lean on it at all..I'm running out of time quick But what we know about the cam is that it's .060 short of maxing the head work and it had a few numbers on the back of the back cam surface , but we already had it in so there wasn't much more searching for numbers-ya what a bonehead move :bangin: but I couldnt find anything on it. How ever it is an aftermarket as it has a groove in the center cam bearing surface so that a plus :D
so In my mind I'm only missing one...if anyone has on I'd rather go that route But I'll be sure to read over that thread...very cool information but why did the early heads need the spacers and the later ones didn't, what changed?
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

The locking adjuster screws are the best ones to have. What do you mean they are way too short? Is that with or without the drip tray?

The pushrods need to match the heads. '54-'55 and '60-'64 used the longer pushrods. '56-'59 used shorter pushrods. There is about 3/16" difference between the two lengths. If factory adjuster screws are too short, then you very likely have the wrong pushrods. You want 5/16" diameter tubular pushrods.

Many factory Y-Block cams had the groove in the center bearing journal. The grove does not indicate that it is an aftermarket cam.

Here's another link. This one is to Ted Eaton's articles on his site. One about geometry, one about the adjuster screw affect on the ratio, and many more. He's possibly the top Y-Block builder, certainly one of the top.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2000/03/2 ... -articles/

I think the drip trays were eliminated as a cost cutting measure. There were a couple small things like that which were eliminated early on. They are not really needed.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
aj64f100390-292
United States of America

o Ill have to remeasure my pushrods, but the self locking adjusters came out of my 575XXXXXX part number rocker arms, and are shorter than the non locking ones, and the non locking work fine, how ever I may be able to get the self locking to work if I remove the spacers. But I doubt it...but I know I have the tubular ones and measured a while back and swore it checked out right ....but I could have miss read something so Ill double check.