Speedometer glass anti squeek seal.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

Speedometer glass anti squeek seal.

Post by 64 f100 »

Goes between glass and bezel on the round speedometer. Tried looking for this seal in both parts books and aftermarket parts books and have found nothing. I've made these before and believe the originals were made from rubber as nearly every one I've looked at the rubber has turned in to a gooey mass. A large rubber O-ring is what I think it was but have no proof of this, having never found the part intact. I did find the 57 seal listed in the 57 to 63 pars books. When I looked up that part group number, it only listed the one for earlier and different type off dash plate. Nothing was listed under that group number for our dashes. Most likely, I will have to make something to fit as I have done before, but would like to know what was the original made of and am wondering if an o-ring was what was used.

Rich
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: Speedometer glass anti squeek seal.

Post by orangeRcode »

Subscribing to this. I pulled the speedo bezel on my 65 and found nothing but a gooey mess between the glass and bezel. I cleaned it up and was thinking some black RTV. Put a small bead on both surfaces, let it tack up and put together. I looked for a gasket as well and didn't find anything.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I found an 1/8th inch thick O ring slightly larger than my bezel and cut it on a bias, to the size I needed works great, no mess
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

unibody madness wrote:I found an 1/8th inch thick O ring slightly larger than my bezel and cut it on a bias, to the size I needed works great, no mess
Where'd you find the O ring that large? We had an O ring kit at the plant but I no longer have access to it.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

A really good hardware store will have a selection of o-rings from tiny up to at least 6".
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

bruceandersson wrote:A really good hardware store will have a selection of o-rings from tiny up to at least 6".
Thanks Bruce!
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

The gooey mess is I believe what is left of the rubber that was originally there. Most likely few of you have seen old rubber turn to this kind of mess. Or, if you have seen it before may not have known what it was. Tires used to do this before vulcanizing. The vulcanizing process was a big deal when it was developed although few of us are old enough to remember. I believe it was in the early stages of WW2 when it made a big difference and led to artificial rubber products because of the rubber shortage at the time. I seriously doubt that there is any real rubber in rubber tires these days, although I have no proof of this statement. Maybe someone else knows. O-ring is what I figure was there to start with for the glass to be held in place. Large O-rings are not that common although I have found some in transmission kits, finding one 1/8 inch in diameter it more unlikely though in one of the kits. I believe and o-ring would be what belongs there as there is a groove for it to fit nto on the panel. Most likely it had contact cement holding it in place, would be my guess.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

orangeRcode wrote:Subscribing to this. I pulled the speedo bezel on my 65 and found nothing but a gooey mess between the glass and bezel. I cleaned it up and was thinking some black RTV. Put a small bead on both surfaces, let it tack up and put together. I looked for a gasket as well and didn't find anything.
Good idea.
Chris
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I just looked them up at Grainger, and they are available cheaper than you would think
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!