Dana Versus 9" Ford Differential

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

C.G.
United States of America

Dana Versus 9" Ford Differential

Post by C.G. »

This may be a silly question. Do they make a Dana rear end in a F100 two wheel drive?
If so, how do you tell versus a 9" differential?
Thanks for the help.
9Fingers
United States of America

Re: Dana Versus 9" Ford Differential

Post by 9Fingers »

Hello,

A 9" ford axle will have bolts/nuts around the housing on the forward facing side of the axle.

A Dana will have bolts on the rear facing side of the axle and a removable cover.

The F250's had eight lug Dana 60 rear axles I believe.

Im not 100% sure about 61-66 F100's with dana rear axles, but I would guess they would be Dana 44's if not the 9" Ford.

I have a Dana 44 rear axle from a 77 F100 2 WD going under my 65 F100 to match the front Dana 44.
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

SLICKCOLLECTOR
United States of America

Post by SLICKCOLLECTOR »

occasionally a f100 truck will have a 5 lug dana 60 rearend. i have had 3 or 4 of them and still have 1 now. i dont know whether gvw determined that or not but it does exist. dana 44's were lots more common. most were 9 inch.

jim
1966 F100 SW 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW 428 TL sold
1966 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1966 F100 LB RANGER 390 C6 sold finally
1965 F100 SW CVC 460PI C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1972 F100 RANGER XLT SW 428 C6 SOLD
1967 F100 SW CVC 521 C6
1967 F350 390 4 SPEED
1970 F350 428 4 SPEED
1974 F350 428 4 SPEED
1966 F100 523 STROKER C6 GEARVENDORS OVERDRIVE finished
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

See the DANA 44'S where common and used the same axles etc. dating back to 1948,, Dana 60 is little rarer and when you see that one it looks like a 3/4 rear under a 1/2 ton truck and then of course the 9"

James the only one I did not see in the picture is a 9 3/4" center section
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Tom, are you referring to the 9 inch style in what is commonly called a 91/4 but is actually I believe a 9 and 3/8 ? I have one of those that came out of a later 4x4 and is a traction lock with 3.50 ratio. Also I understand our trucks did not come with a 9 inch traction lock and if you wanted a traction lock you got the Dana 44. The actual ID on the Dana 60 is something like 62.5 or some such strange terminology. I have one in my 66 4x4 short bed.

Rich
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

The Dana I have in one of my f100s is a Dana 60.2
Big Dana diff with 5 bolts hubs
I see no advantage in it ... except it might carry more weight
But this truck is a short bed... and no extra springs in the leaf pack !
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

64 f100 wrote:Tom, are you referring to the 9 inch style in what is commonly called a 91/4 but is actually I believe a 9 and 3/8 ? I have one of those that came out of a later 4x4 and is a traction lock with 3.50 ratio. Also I understand our trucks did not come with a 9 inch traction lock and if you wanted a traction lock you got the Dana 44. The actual ID on the Dana 60 is something like 62.5 or some such strange terminology. I have one in my 66 4x4 short bed.

Rich
I have pulled three 3.70's from 65-66 and one from a 76 model F100. A common ratio behind a manual transmission and an I6. Three were limited slip and one was open. At that point the trucks were 25 to 30 years old. I can't say they were original but the odds are high that they were undisturbed. Around 1991 one 65 had a rotten stepside with a small tree growing behind the axle through the bed. Two of mine had been sitting so long the gears not submerged in grease were rusted and it was not long before they chewed them selves up so by now a gear change might be nessesary. If you know where a 65-66 I6 manual is check out what I am saying.
Chris
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Rich what we have found is that some 70/72 F-100's had a 31 spline 9 3/8 locking which we had one out of Phoenix that had 390 automatic and some 4x4's but a lot of Lincoln's had that big rear center sections,, also we have had 2 3.50 locking in 6 cylinder trucks with the big N on it for Nodular,, never have seen a locking in anything prior to 67 but's hard to say since some trucks did not go by the book
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

jamesdfo wrote:Image
Great reference. :clap:
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Trucks ordered with limited slip got the Spicer rears, Most were D44's, some were D60.2 as Pat stated. Both were five lug semi-floating axles.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Toyz wrote:Trucks ordered with limited slip got the Spicer rears,
I wouldn't have known there were 65-66 9" limited slips either unless I pulled them myself. In a town of 3500 chances are not great 2 out of 3 (one open diff) 25 year old 65/66 trucks rears were upgraded to LS.
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Not very common, IMO. Dealers like to sell floor plan inventory; so were, and are, not hesitant to add desired items to make a sale. I have dealt with vast bunches of these trucks for over fifty years; never have I encountered the data plate letter/digit code denoting limited slip, or any service reference to such, on a truck equipped with a nine inch rear. I would be interested in pics of such warranty plates, or axle ID tags denoting such on a slick.My home base's population is well over 3500; I buy and sell throughout the Midwest. I would consider myself very lucky if I averaged anywhere near 2 out of three being equipped with ANY form of limited slip.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

I didn't know how to read the plates back then. Go by the limited slip/Equa Lock tag# 3L70 or 3.70 for open. Out of the ones I used not all had tags. I am pretty sure the differential in there now is a 3.50 or 3.70 open. I will check the tag next week and post. I am one of those weirdos that put the tags back on everything, so it will be correct.
Chris
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Toyz wrote:Not very common, IMO. Dealers like to sell floor plan inventory; so were, and are, not hesitant to add desired items to make a sale. I have dealt with vast bunches of these trucks for over fifty years; never have I encountered the data plate letter/digit code denoting limited slip, or any service reference to such, on a truck equipped with a nine inch rear. I would be interested in pics of such warranty plates, or axle ID tags denoting such on a slick.My home base's population is well over 3500; I buy and sell throughout the Midwest. I would consider myself very lucky if I averaged anywhere near 2 out of three being equipped with ANY form of limited slip.
Paul
Until last year I had never seen ANY 65 or newer Ford with a road draft tube. Didn't mean they didn't exist, just means I hadn't see one on any of my parts cars, trucks or parts trading. Seems I was the only one in the country that was in the dark.

I checked and I do have an open 3.70:1 9" rear. I would have put the other tag back on if it was an Equa Lock. Sense you have so many trucks you have a unique oportunity to log down what to look for. If someone comes up with a resonable theory about parts you have to remember no one has seen it all. Concerning the warranry tag it could be the only time the tag was different was if it had a Dana/Spicer rear./? Google books has some articles claiming Equa Locks around as early as 59.

Did you look at that information I sent on small snout crank 330 MD? It is in the off topic section. Sense they use the same water pump and C4TE-A timing cover as a 361/391 you may have a few of those and don't know it.
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

EquaLocks were in fact around for years, just not used in slicks from the factory. Ford used an alpha-numerical designation on the warranty plate to identify the limited slips. Any exception to that was provided by the DSO number listed on that plate; with no listing under axle.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Andyman

Post by Andyman »

My 64 has a 3.73 (I believe) limited slip Dana 44 that I am almost sure came with it new with some sort of off road package. Maybe it was a dealer option? Anyways, I am swapping it for a 9.75 with disc brakes out of an expedition and a TCI 4 link after I finish my CV swap. Gonna redrill the hubs and rotors and should be gtg.