Best setup for rear tank with fuel injected 5.4 Modular

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Andyman

Best setup for rear tank with fuel injected 5.4 Modular

Post by Andyman »

Hi guys,
I am getting ready to install a new rear end and 4 link in my '64 with a CV swap and am using a 5.4 Modular out of a 98 Expedition. I am thinking that I would like to get the fuel system figured out while I am back there. My truck originally had a rear auxiliary tank installed in it with a filler neck on the rear side of the bed, towards the top edge of the bed and I would like to keep that, but I need a new tank and will be going fuel injected with a fuel pump instead of carbureted. Any ideas for a fuel tank, pump, sending unit, etc that will work? The truck will be lowered 4-5 inches from the 4 link, I believe. The tank would also need an inlet on the top left side to feed fuel into from the filler neck but other than that I don't think there are too many restrictions. Thanks guys! I did some searching but not sure if I found the right topics for me.

Here is a pic showing my fuel inlet on the back:

I would really like to keep this if possible since it is already there. Maybe a mustang tank could be modified? On the other side of the bed panel there is a concave sheetmetal tunnel going from the inlet down to under the bed where the rubber hose from the inlet ran down to the tank.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: Best setup for rear tank with fuel injected 5.4 Modular

Post by orangeRcode »

Interesting swap. I've considered a 5.0/auto swap from an Explorer for my 65 roller. Keep us updated on your progress. Is that fuel system a returnless type?
Andyman

Post by Andyman »

I definitely will! But yes, it is returnless. I will be taking out the 292 and 3 speed and going to the 5.4 2V with Ron Francis wiring and either a T-56 or TKO-600. The plan is to add a supercharger down the road so I may build the bottom end up before it goes in. Not sure yet.

A 5.0 and auto would be cool! I am going withthe 5.4 because I have it for free and it is coming out of my first car (Expedition) that got crunched at an intersection while I was in college. And I am going manual because that brings me the most joy to drive.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Andyman wrote:I definitely will! But yes, it is returnless. I will be taking out the 292 and 3 speed and going to the 5.4 2V with Ron Francis wiring and either a T-56 or TKO-600. The plan is to add a supercharger down the road so I may build the bottom end up before it goes in. Not sure yet.

A 5.0 and auto would be cool! I am going withthe 5.4 because I have it for free and it is coming out of my first car (Expedition) that got crunched at an intersection while I was in college. And I am going manual because that brings me the most joy to drive.
Is the expedition the red one in the top of the first pic?
Andyman

Post by Andyman »

Yes, that is the expedition.
I saw that and like it, but how can I get that tank to be fed from the side? Seems like that would have to be fed from the bed.
claybreaker 144

Post by claybreaker 144 »

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... prd114.htm

Chevy has some side fill tanks.
I tried the 49-52 tank but the filler was 1" below the frame rail and fuel pump lined up with a brace on my uni bed. That was without moving the rear frame cross member, tackling that today.
62 Unibody Short Bed Soon To Have CV Swap
62 T Bird
66 Elcamino