Mufflers

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Day 2

Mufflers

Post by Day 2 »

Hey all, getting ready to get rid of the LOUD exhaust on my 63, and I'm looking for input on a good quality performance muffler with just one requirement....It has to be QUIET.... Is there such ? Please help.. thanks

Robert
Mr. Jones

Re: Mufflers

Post by Mr. Jones »

Robert,
Ran glass packs on my 352 for years.I finally had enough noise and like you I wanted something not so loud.I took it to a local muffler shop told the guys,I don't want hear nothing I want it quiet
.These guys did their thing,two new mufflers and pips out the back.Don't know what they are,except they are QUIET......performance wise bout as befor...it's a 250 daily driver work truck.....fairly simple solution for me.Pay someone who does it everyday.
Dan
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Loud is dependent on many different factors. Are you running exhaust manifolds or headers? How large is the tail pipes?

I like magnaflows for a deep rumble that's not obnoxiously loud.
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

Thanks Dan, since I'm a DIY type, and have the tools, might as well do it myself.

OrangeRcode, thanks, I'm running headers and right now its 3" all the way to the rear axle, plus a very lumpy cam. Just need to get it quiet so the family can ride and be able to hear each other talk!! Really trying to get away from any rumbles..LOL I may also be taking that cam out if it will help with the quiet..

Robert
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Sounds like you want 'Turbo Mufflers'.
I put a set on my 460 years ago, can hear the lumpy cam, but noise is to a minimum, sounds decent when you get into the throttle, and doesn't wake up the household late at night.

Quote: "work great as a “step-up” from a stock muffler and tend to be quieter that glass pack or chambered mufflers"
1964 Mercury short box 460 innies