Ignition lock cylinder issues

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Zax63
United States of America

Ignition lock cylinder issues

Post by Zax63 »

Since I got the truck i've been having trouble with the ignition lock assembly falling out. It still works but there is nothing holding it secure inside the ignition assembly. I've read the steps to remove it using the little pin hole and turning past acc, but I don't know which part is supposed to lock it in. I'm guessing whatever part that the pin hole releases is broken on mine, but I don't know enough about the locking part to know which part is faulty. Can anyone explain how the lock cylinder holds itself in?
'63 F100 Wrongbed
bruceandersson

Re: Ignition lock cylinder issues

Post by bruceandersson »

The lock cylinder has a semi-circular plate on the end of it, one side is flat. The pin hole releases a spring backed pin that allows the cylinder to be turned to the position where the plate and the receiver line up and allow it to slide in or out. My guess is that you have never really inserted it all the way to allow it to catch. (It is also possible that someone used a slide hammer to pull out the cylinder int he past and broke the portion that holds it in.)

To insert: hold the cylinder outside the switch and turn the key to the left until it stops. Insert a paperclip into the hole and turn it more to the left. You have have to wiggle things a little to accomplish this. Check how the end of the cylinder is aligned and use a screwdriver to set the ignition switch receiver to the same position. Slide in and turn to the right.
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

There are a zillion vids on how to do this on Youtube, heres one I found on the first search. And I don't know this fellow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu6ByQi96H4
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

Yeah, I watched a couple of those videos, but they don't really help me. The release doesn't matter for me I can insert it and remove it without it. I'm trying to figure out if the tumbler or the housing is broken.
'63 F100 Wrongbed
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

does this help??
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

It does, thank you. Mine has all the parts the one in the pic does. I went ahead and ordered a new switch. Must be something missing or broken on that side.
'63 F100 Wrongbed
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

Got the new ignition switch installed last weekend. There is a little half moon shaped piece in the new one that my old one is missing. That must be what actually locks the cylinder in.
'63 F100 Wrongbed