Wrong Carb?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Zax63
United States of America

Wrong Carb?

Post by Zax63 »

My '63 with a factory 223 that appeared to be all original seems to have the wrong carb. The thing is nasty and I was looking to get a rebuild kit when the descriptions weren't adding up. From what i've read it should have an AutoLite 1100. But it has a Carter 118-178. It this going to cause issues with the stock ignition system?
'63 F100 Wrongbed
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Re: Wrong Carb?

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

If you still have the Load-O-Matic style distributor it will not run correctly. The vac advance for a LOM setup is run off of vacuum signals from the carb's spark control valve, so if the carb has no SCV the advance will not function properly.
There are two choices of carbs for the Load-O-Matic setup with SCVs, either the Autolite or Holley. If you want to keep the carb that's on it there is probably an electronic setup you could get for the distributor. Maybe pertronix or something of that variety...
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

ThinLizzy13 wrote:If you still have the Load-O-Matic style distributor it will not run correctly. The vac advance for a LOM setup is run off of vacuum signals from the carb's spark control valve, so if the carb has no SCV the advance will not function properly.
There are two choices of carbs for the Load-O-Matic setup with SCVs, either the Autolite or Holley. If you want to keep the carb that's on it there is probably an electronic setup you could get for the distributor. Maybe pertronix or something of that variety...
Thanks. The carb that is on it will need a rebuild so might as well hunt down a stocker and rebuild it instead. Hopefully the Carter that is on there is worth something so I can recoup a little money.

Conway is in Horry County, SC right? I have been out there several times for work.
'63 F100 Wrongbed
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I have a carter on one of my 223's and a pertronix in the dizzy,and it performs much better than than the original carb that was professionally rebuilt
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Zax63 wrote: Conway is in Horry County, SC right? I have been out there several times for work.
It sure is. If you're familiar with the area I lived right next to the Bucksport Marina on the Intracoastal waterway. Although I just moved back to NY for work.

One thing to keep in mind if you're going to find a stock Autolite is checking the "Throttle shaft lever assembly" (bar that goes through the base of the carb that connects to accelerator linkage). If that wiggles/is loose I don't think a rebuild can fix it. The Autolite on my 223 is worn where the shaft goes through and leaks a little fuel when idling.

To add onto what unibody madness is saying; the stock LOM setup is not known for it's responsiveness.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

unibody madness wrote:I have a carter on one of my 223's and a pertronix in the dizzy,and it performs much better than than the original carb that was professionally rebuilt
Do you know the model number? Mine is a 118-178. From what i've found it came on other Fords of the era.

The Pertronix setups don't seem to be too expensive. I may go that route.
'63 F100 Wrongbed
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

You will not regret the simple inexpensive change to pertronix, its like a new motor when finished.
Tip: contact them directly and describe the top of your distributor shaft under the rotor, or give them the number cast into it if you can find it.
You do not need the later models the original will do,get the matching coil.

cdherman is the gentleman who helped me with the carter, he has his own site that will help.

http://www.hermannsonline.com/f100/carteryf/index.htm
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

I've got this if anyone needs it.......
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

unibody madness wrote:I have a carter on one of my 223's and a pertronix in the dizzy,and it performs much better than than the original carb that was professionally rebuilt
Petronix does not fix this.
Sure it may run better at idle and even rev but it's still the LOM system and it will not properly advance.
The solution if changing from a LOM carberetor is to also change the distributor. Then you can do the pertonix if you wish.
By the early 70s Ford abandoned the LOM system when they went to the Carter carberetor on 300 six cylinders. Distributors on these engines are standard vacuum/mechanical advance.
The later 300 distributors can be modified to fit a 223.
The aftermarket Mallory mechanical advance distributors are a option as well but they are hard to find.
I can drive it home with one headlight.