Crazy question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gota64
United States of America

Crazy question

Post by Gota64 »

New here and to a '64 Short Bed. I've got a '91 Taurus that I'm about to trash to clear space for the '64. Anything usable for conversions or mods from the old junker? 3.0 motor runs and tranny works, ac is good... Frame is good, but suspension is probably shot.

Don't want to discard stuff I might want later.
Darrell
36truck
United States of America

Re: Crazy question

Post by 36truck »

It would be a lot of work to use those parts on a Slick.
Tom Williams
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

Thanks for the reply Tom. That's what I thought, but heck. It can't hurt to ask the question being a newbie. With any luck a guy on a local Facebook group will pick it up this weekend for a demolition derby. :) and I'll get a few hundred for it to put on this project. Otherwise it's off to the scrapyard.
Darrell
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

But It would be interesting to see a FWD slick! I don't think its of any real value but we've certainly seen a lot of people who put a lot of effort in upgrades.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Gota64 wrote:New here and to a '64 Short Bed. I've got a '91 Taurus that I'm about to trash to clear space for the '64. Anything usable for conversions or mods from the old junker? 3.0 motor runs and tranny works, ac is good... Frame is good, but suspension is probably shot.

Don't want to discard stuff I might want later.
Check the alternator mounting. May be a bolt up amperage upgrade.
Chris
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

I can't think of any major components that would be useful, but if it has the slide-out cupholders under the climate control I have seen those installed on other cars. Those might come in handy if you wanted cupholders that hide away when you're not using them. Electrical relays, fuses and such are always good to have on hand. And you could keep the inertia switch for the fuel pump if you intend to install an electric pump in your Slick.
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

Well the cup holder is broken. :P Fuses and relays I'll grab out of it. Thanks for the ideas.
Darrell
Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

Maybe the seats for a more bum conforming ride?
Ford... the other four letter "F" word

Chevrolet: Condition hopeless entire vehicle runs on leftover engine technology

Six cylinders make farting sounds
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

A truck should ride like a truck. :D
Darrell
grump

Post by grump »

If you drive your truck from Tennessee to Kansas City for Slick Stock you might wish for a little more comfortable seat. A truck can ride like a truck and still have a comfy seat.
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

Lots if people use the electric fan setup from a Taurus for an electric fan upgrade. Don't know if it would work for a slick, you would have to measure.
'63 F100 Wrongbed
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Many have a twin/ two stage fan setup. Also check for a relay pack near the fans, and the control wiring.
Take it all! Large gauge feeder wires are not cheap. :2cents:
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

the Taurus fan set up is used by a lot of Econoline guys... it would be useful along with the seats and maybe even steering components... it should have a rack and pinion type? I think... could be an upgrade for the old straight axle.... if you don't want the seats, good seats here in WV go for about 100 bucks a set in good condition.. and where are you in TN? my favorite travel spot...
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

@Anthony & All,

Thanks for the responses. The Taurus indeed has a rack and pinion steering setup I replaced it about 15 years ago. :) Fan and seat are good as well. Anyone in the market for bench seat?

As for where we are: about an 50 NE of Nashville. Bring the truck and camper our way. I've been eyeing your setup, my grandfather had a similar camper setup back in the 70's - 80's.
Darrell