Hydroboost

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Blackwaterforge

Hydroboost

Post by Blackwaterforge »

Got hydraboost mounted today. I cut mounting ring from F-450 mount and welded to plate that fits clutch/brake pedal bracket.
Still have to plumb and make brake lines.

If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
MN66
United States of America

Re: Hydroboost

Post by MN66 »

What are you using for hydraulic hoses and power steering pump? I've got a saginaw pump, but did not get a dual return reservoir. I'm hoping that's not a problem.

I bought a high pressure braided hose kit with AN fittings and adapters for the Saginaw pump and steering gear - I hope to install those next weekend.

I look forward to watching your progress.

Regards,
Corey
1966 F250 LWB
Blackwaterforge

I have a remote reservoir ( 5000 Ford tractor) with dual returns. I have a industrial place in town that will make hydraulic lines. I am using the cummins power steering pump.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

As always your work looks impressive, I wish I had taken the time to fab a new bracket for mine rather than make the one I had fit.

In the research I did for hydroboost it works best if you have and use both return lines.

There was discussion of teeing returns, it caused problems for some not others. It can cause poor operation of the steering or brake booster. Whichever has the unrestricted return flow will work properly, the other more of a surging action.... The solution was allways to remove the tank and add a second return. A piece of brake tube brased in worked well. Also try and stay near factory locations to prevent aeriation of fluid and pump whine.

On a side note, pump flow rate and pressures determine pedal feel. High pressure causes sensitive pedal action, low pressure will cause firm unresponsive brake pedal. In general, off road users,(rock crawlers and trail riders) who used the brakes and steering in large amounts at low speeds with low RPM benefited from higher pressures and flow, but would suffer twitchy steering and sensitive brakes at highway speeds.

Fluid coolers are highly recommend for use on all hydroboost system, size is related to how much you use your system.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just want to pass on the knowledge for others who may want to try hydroboost.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
Blackwaterforge

Thank you for the info.
Cummins pump is from tater chip truck that had hydroboost.
I am using a reservoir with dual returns and a filter.
I have a power steering cooler from a f650 plumed into the steering return.
Still have lots to do before I can drive it.