I think the 460 will have to go

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66camperspecial

I think the 460 will have to go

Post by 66camperspecial »

I have been chasing a vibration in my 66 since installing the 460 back in 09 and finally found out the source and its not going to be a simple repair,I was hoping it was in the driveline or suspension but its in the motor. I bought a 77 with a Jasper reman 460 and C-6 and from what I can tell I think they installed the wrong crank,it either has a 79 and newer crank with the wrong balance or the pre 71 crank with the larger pilot hole with a newer torque converter. I could pull the trans and just replace the converter but its been vibrating since the previous owner installed the motor and trans in that 77 and probably has around 30,000 miles on it so I am worried the vibration might have done some damage to the bearings,since I have a smallblock C-6 and mounts so I am in the hunt for a 351-W that I can drop in and go.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: I think the 460 will have to go

Post by orangeRcode »

Sucks that is the situation but got to admit that's pretty impressive to hold together for 30k miles with that issue.
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

so you are in Dayton? do you ever make it to Cincy to the Pumpkin Run Nationals? me and my son go every year... usually camp in the '66 at East Fork State Park and drive the '62 Econo-Up back and forth to the event..... it is a big (2600+) pre '74 3-day show with a big swap meet... hope you find the 351 your looking for and get back on the road soon.. If I can any way help from Huntington WV, let me know...
Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

That's a bummer! I haven't gone back to read what you may have posted about your balance woes with the 460, but, swapping out the whole engine and trans a quite a bit of work! If you're going to all that trouble, why not just try another balancer and flexplate combo? That's relatively cheap, and you could knock that out in a day....
This assumes you know you have an engine that's running on all cylinders, and that this engine doesn't have some custom balance that would mean you have to remove crank and send out...
Good luck, whatever your decision!
Drew
Drew

66 F250 Frame swap, EFI 408W, ZF 5-speed swap (still!) in progress
63 Falcon Futura EFI 331W, T5, but not much progress... Slicks First!!!
66camperspecial

The motor will have to come out to see exactly what is going on and even though gas is realtively cheap I do not like feeding the 460 on long trips so a 351-W would be much better,I am going to repair the 460 and put it in something light that I can play with on the track. Since I have small block mounts and a small block C6 it would only take me a weekend to get it swapped over once I find a motor and then to the exhaust shop.
66camperspecial

I have been offered a 352 and since I still have the original FE mounts and clutch parts I could install my toploader 4 speed too,should have gotten the 70 390 at the pull and pay last year.
66camperspecial

Not going with a FE and picked up a 92 351 today,I have a parts truck with a small block C-6 and mounts.
shep
United States of America

Post by shep »

Do you know if your 460 is internally balanced or externally balanced. Could be wrong flex-plate and balancer for the crank.