'64 Driver Side Toeboard

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gota64
United States of America

'64 Driver Side Toeboard

Post by Gota64 »

So this is the toe board in my newly acquired '64

Almost completely gone from the dimmer switch down and across to the accelerator pedal. Any suggestions for fabricating or finding replacement for the toeboard? I'm a newbie so be gentle. :lol:

Can someone get a diagram or measurements? I don't think there is enough left to cut out and make copy from it.

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.
Darrell
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: '64 Driver Side Toeboard

Post by jamesdfo »

Darrell: have a look @ this link.....

http://www.flashbackf100s.com/usa_made_ ... air_panels
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

Emailed them today:

2) Because I don't know the real name for this part :) On the drivers side between the floor pan and firewall - where the steering column, brake and clutch push rods go through the cab.

Response:

That is the toe board and hard to find since good ones are on solid trucks

My next stop was here to ask the question. Problem is this doesn't seem to be a flat basically rectangular part the seem easy to duplicate.
Darrell
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I would think you would be looking at the rest of what you have there that will have to be repaired, before I would do anything to that cab. What I see is an indication that it would be better to find a good cab or at least one that does not have the issues this one has. I have a cab in southern Illinois, that is better I'm sure but is no cherry either. I've seen cabs on evilbay from the west coast in the 500$ range, plus about the same amount for shipping. What you are trying to repair is a major undertaking, and requires skill and tools you may not have. Repair parts are not cheap when buying new, but Tom at Flashbacks is a good guy to buy from and knowledgeable, and may have a good complete cab for sale. A complete inspection from someone that really knows these trucks needs to be done before you spend a bunch of money on new parts. I live west of Evansville Indiana about 45 miles in Carmi Illinois. If you are in the western part of Tennessee, then It might be possible for you to come and see what my cab is like. There is another guy in Kentucky with used parts also that advertises used parts on craigslist. A few other pieces of information for you. 63 and earlier cab is not what you want. Those are different from 64, but you can use bigger truck cabs up to 66. There are differences, such as battery being located under the floor on the passenger side. I have a 66 big truck cab I am going to use on my 64. Also you can use the cab off 65 4x4 as it has the step wells. I also know where there are a bunch of the larger trucks in a salvage yard and several pickups, although pretty well striped in a salvage yard near me. You may call me if you need help or information. 618-384-7037 Rich
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Mine was gone too, and the replacement floor pan didn't extend up that far. That was one of the pieces that had to be fabricated from scratch on my truck (full disclosure, I hired out this work and didn't do it myself):

bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I'll second Rich's opinion. You may be better off locating a solid cab rather than spending countless hours getting yours back into shape. That being said, I have patched cabs in similar shape to yours.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

If Tom @ Flashback F100's doesn't have a donot to cut the section you need from, here's another guy to try, but he's out west in CA......

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ptd/d ... 96080.html
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

Wow guys thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I know saving this cab will be a lot of work and I'd probably be better just finding another one to pop on top of it.

However, as crazy as it sounds this is not only a rebuild but an opportunity for an old computer programmer ... to start trying his hand at doing something different. Things I expect to experience during this process: welding, cutting, painting, engine rebuild, transmission examination, anything else as needed. Nope, I don't have all the tools and skills needed to do all of this right now, but it is a process. Honestly it is probably more than I expected when I picked the truck up, but it is what it is.

While I don't have many of the tools needed, I have friends and neighbors who do and will loan and offer advice as needed. I look forward to receiving advice and direction from the many experienced builders here and hope to show up and at a future Slick Stock with the project.

@jamesdfo, I like to visit that parts yard, to bad it's on the other side of the country.
@The Big M, great build thread. I enjoyed looking at it last night. I think my toe board is rotted out a little higher than yours.
@64 f100, I may punt later on and do as you suggested, but I'll probably try the hard way first...just my nature :)
Darrell
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Before I would even start working on that cab, I would check the frame for rust. I have seen few cabs that bad, but the frame has to be solid to be safe. Also recall the frame numbers are what go to the tittle on these trucks, not the warrantee tag on the door or in the glove box. Someone advertised a complete floor for one of these truck a couple of years ago, may have been LMC, but I don't remember who at the moment. I will tell you up front, it is hard enough to restore one of these trucks with a little rust, and even harder to do the magnitude of what you are planning. I don't want to discourage you, but I don't want to see you get discouraged in the middle and give up. Parts are not cheap, I suggest you do some adding up of what parts cost to repair what you have before you start. I also suggest you take an ice pick to any area you think may be soft or rusted thru under the paint. Add up the costs and compare to what a good cab would cost. Add in the man hours to perform this work and you will find the answer to whether or not it is a smart move to go the hard way. It can be done, but should it? Unless there is some special significance to this particular truck, I would not mess with that cab from what I see. I've junked better ones.
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

Haven't gotten the cab off yet to check under it, but the under the front clip and bed the frame is solid. I have crawled around under the cab and from what I can see the frame looks good.

Yes, LMC has a complete floor for about $1,300 and that is under consideration as well. I have started adding up the cost of parts and maybe getting pretty close to that already on the cab area. As you say for the price of the LMC, a much better cab can be had.

Good advice
Darrell
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Gota64 wrote:@The Big M, great build thread. I enjoyed looking at it last night. I think my toe board is rotted out a little higher than yours.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. :)

Now that I look closer it seems the damage on yours does extend higher than it did on mine. The lower part is basically flat but you're into that compound curve which is more of a challenge.

I'm not sold on that LMC complete floor. The description says it's welded in a jig for accuracy but I really question how well that would fit a cab produced over 50 years ago and subjected to a lifetime of use (and likely abuse as well). Plus no mention of material thickness other than saying it's "OE quality".

I feel like a single panel can be adjusted to fit if it's not perfect, but if the complete floor is off dimensionally I think you'd be in for a struggle trying to get everything lined up again. Personally I would rank patch panels (either fabricated or cut from a donor truck) or a replacement cab above the complete aftermarket floor option.

Then again, I insisted on saving what was essentially a parts truck when I could have sought out a more solid starting point, lol. In my case having a "true" Mercury was of value to me, and being a uni I couldn't just swap out a cab. Your mileage may vary. :)
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

@The Big M: I was working on a computer at church last night and met the guy who owns one of the best Tool & Die businesses in the area. He said make me a pattern or bring what's left and I'm sure we can cobble something together. LOL I think that might be an option. Get something made up that fits the existing space.

Abuse was the issue with this one, someone down the line just screwed in a thin aluminum sheet over the existing floor board which just held water and made the rusting worse then attempting to fix it correctly.
Darrell