3 Speed Transmission Search

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

agjames96
United States of America

3 Speed Transmission Search

Post by agjames96 »

Decided to replace transmission in my '64. It is behind a 292 Y Block and is a 3 speed toploader. Could not find a tag, but case casting number is C3AR-7006-E.

Most all of the transmissions that I have found on Craigslist and other places have tailhousings and mounts on the rear. Mine has a very short tail, almost non-existent, and no mounts.

Anyone have any idea what I have and what I need to be searching for? I have been googling and searching forums for about a week and have not found anything. Sorry that I don't have any pics.
1964 F100 Flareside, all original w/ Y Block 292
64 f100

Re: 3 Speed Transmission Search

Post by 64 f100 »

There are a couple of transmissions that will fit your truck including an overdrive one. Main thing to remember is it has the big input shaft. I will try and look up what it says in my Hollander and post later.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I have one sitting in my garage. I think they are the same from at least 1954-1964 behind the y-blocks. I can take a pic sometime over the weekend.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Case casting indicates a passenger car case, no big deal. The big deal is the different transmissions between short and long bed , and between 2 and 4wd. There is also different applications for 6 cylinder and V*, but that is simply different ratios. Interchangeability is pretty well limited to '63 and '64 models as far as case and main drive gear.It is a fully synchronized transmission first used in the '63 models.

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
agjames96
United States of America

Post by agjames96 »

I am assuming that I can use a longer one and simply have the drive shaft cut down. Is that correct?
1964 F100 Flareside, all original w/ Y Block 292
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Suppose you could, if yours does not have the shaft mounted brake drum, but that's a lot of "moments of inertia" hanging out there! A pre-63 V8 unit will bolt to bell housing, but is not nearly as strong and lacks synchromesh low gear.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul