Gas Tank, Tool Box, or Spare Tire

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

9Fingers
United States of America

Gas Tank, Tool Box, or Spare Tire

Post by 9Fingers »

Hey everyone, thinking a little ahead on the 65 F100 4x4 with later model frame.

I am looking for input about what to do with the area under the truck bed where the spare tire rides.

Currently the gas tank is behind the seat, so no storage there. This truck does not have the passenger side bed storage box, so I was thinking about a custom sliding rear bumper that would pull out a drawer style storage box, a place for jumper cables, hand tools, a few spare parts under the truck bed. But then the spare tire would need to ride in the bed. Also thinking about a custom drivers side battery box under the hood with a metal toolbox strapped or bolted down as a place for hand tools and small ignition parts.

I hoped to keep the bed free of a permanent toolbox for full use and hauling capacity.

I know some have moved the gas tank from inside the cab to under the bed, just not sure of the amount of usable storage behind the seat without lots of rattles and extra noise.

Your ideas, thoughts and solutions you have used are welcomed.

Thank you in advance, Bradshaw
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
grump

Re: Gas Tank, Tool Box, or Spare Tire

Post by grump »

That's actually a pretty cool idea. It would take some heavy duty thinking to figure out how to pull it off. I'll be watching this one.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Even with the tank moved, there is not a lot of space behind the seats.
I also like the idea of the slide out drawer.
You are facing the dilemma that lead to the extended cab trucks.
The door pockets cab provide some space for smaller items.
The bedside toolbox has some decent room and these do come up for sale now and then. I've had some issues keeping mine dry.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Sometime in the late 70's Ford offered a behind the seat storage box that with the tank removed should fit our trucks, I think. Finding one might be a problem though.
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus