F100 Accelerator Pedal

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dirtbike
Australia

F100 Accelerator Pedal

Post by dirtbike »

Good day guys,

I need some help with the accelerator pedal on my truck.

This is the accelerator assembly -

I have purchased one of these from Dennis Carpenter which mounts on the existing cab provision -

The new pedal has absolutely no flex or swivel on the base, so if I push the accelerator down is does not return.

Am I missing some parts? Also is the arm from the accelerator bracket supposed to just slide up and down on the back of the pedal?

Any suggestions?
-= FORD F100 1965 =-
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Re: F100 Accelerator Pedal

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Yes it should just slide on the back. From what I remember there is a pin that goes behind the pedal to ensure that the pedal doesn't come off of the accelerator linkage.

If the accelerator doesn't pop back up into place after being depressed I would think the return spring is either bad/not present/not hooked up.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

A little dab of grease on the back of the pedal helps.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

The problem on mine was in the casting of the rubber, either too thick or a harder rubber was used.
I inspected the one I replaced and found it had cracked the rubber at the hinge. I just scored a straight V shaped line across the bottom where it wants to bend wide enough that it bends easily and wont look like crap later when the rubber fails.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

That is an older pedal than 65. The 65 had a visible hinge. Whether it makes a difference or not I do not know but up to 64 used a mechanical linkage bell crank set up with some stout springs. Stouter than the 65/66 cable set up. I replaced both of my 65 hinge pedals with a bolt up replacement suspended pedal. One spring up top by the cable end saves wear on the carburetor shaft. There are coil brackets with a spring attatchment and add brackets that use the coil bolt.
Chris
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

The hinge in the pedal will get rusty & lock up
I had to unbolt mine to get it to break loose
Once broke loose I flushed the hinge part good in solvent
Then oiled it with motor oil
Works smooth as new
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
dirtbike
Australia

Post by dirtbike »

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

I did clamp the new pedal in a vice at the bottom and try pivot it back and forth and it is tight. I don't see any form of hinge in the casting. I will try cut the rubber back as uni body suggested and see if that improves it.

I don't have any form of return spring on the pedal assembly, only at the carb. So that would make a lot more sense as to why it is not returning. I will check Dennis Carpenter and see if they have any listing for the springs.

chris401 wrote:That is an older pedal than 65. The 65 had a visible hinge. Whether it makes a difference or not I do not know but up to 64 used a mechanical linkage bell crank set up with some stout springs. Stouter than the 65/66 cable set up. I replaced both of my 65 hinge pedals with a bolt up replacement suspended pedal. One spring up top by the cable end saves wear on the carburetor shaft. There are coil brackets with a spring attatchment and add brackets that use the coil bolt.
I don't see any other type of pedal that could possibly suit that pedal assembly on the Dennis Carpenter website. I would prefer the suspended type accelerator but I can't find anything here (Australia) and don't see any new available. I would even use something aftermarket (Lokar) but I am trying to avoid drilling more holes into the firewall.

If anybody has anything they want to sell and willing to ship to Australia I would be happy to cover costs.
-= FORD F100 1965 =-
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

dirtbike,
The pedal you bought from DC is identical to mine. The linkage you have is different, but should work the same. If your throttle works o.k. without the pedal attached you have the problem I described.
There is a metal hinge molded into the rubber that should bend freely, The relief cut I made was on the front where it wants to bend, I might have cut a V in the back as well.I will be picking it up from the shop today, I will try and post pics of it when I get it home
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

I have photos of the original 65 pedal. If anyone is interested. Try loosening the bolts. A stiff pedal sounds like a hinge binding. It is a bad design in my opinion. On my half ton I pulled the suspended pedal from a 71?2 Ranchero, no bending or modifying. Probably used many years in different Ford cars.
Chris
dirtbike
Australia

Post by dirtbike »

Thanks guys, after a bit of a nip and tuck on the rubber I managed to free it up.

Still need to get a additional spring on the pedal to assist the return.

I am not a fan of the pedal assembly and would prefer the suspended type so I will keep a lookout on ebay.
chris401 wrote:I have photos of the original 65 pedal. If anyone is interested. Try loosening the bolts. A stiff pedal sounds like a hinge binding. It is a bad design in my opinion. On my half ton I pulled the suspended pedal from a 71?2 Ranchero, no bending or modifying. Probably used many years in different Ford cars.
Thanks Chris, this is the original pedal that was installed in '65. The truck was manufactured (assembled) in South Africa so there are some differences to the American '65 model. Tub and tailgate been the biggest difference.
The accelerator moves freely with nothing attached to it.
-= FORD F100 1965 =-
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Differences here between plants. According to the official records my 702XXX 704XXX trucks are supposed to have come with suspended pedals but both had hinged pedals with a vertical pedal pattern.. Kansas City must have been using up what they had.?
Chris