Powder Coat Frame?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gota64
United States of America

Powder Coat Frame?

Post by Gota64 »

So I talked to a shop about getting the frame on the '64 blasted and they asked if I wanted to powder coat it as well. Is this a good idea?

If getting it powder coated should I remove the rivets and replace with bolts in order to remove the rust behind hangers, shock struts, crossmembers, etc and get each part powdered separately?

Just looking for advice from those in a better position to know then me.

Thanks
Darrell
Day 2

Re: Powder Coat Frame?

Post by Day 2 »

Not a big fan of powder coating... but heres some pros/cons about the product that might help you.
https://www.pittsburghsprayequip.com/20 ... r-coating/

Robert
grump

Post by grump »

I worked in the dish rack area before I retired. The dish racks were powder coated and any where there was a sharp edge or a burr the coating was going to fail. The coating process was different than what your talking about but once you have a weak spot it's just like paint. It's over all tougher than paint but it's also harder to fix correctly when it does go bad. I'm a painter so I'm probably a little prejudiced toward paint over powder coat. ha ha. I realize that doesn't answer your question but every bit of knowledge has to help a little.
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

It's lasted 50 years with nothing, so that bring said I painted mine with tractor paint from tractor supply after wire brushing.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Just depends on what your building &
How much you want to $pend

Sand blast & good paint will be nice

I just wire bushed & painted
But I drive sanded roads... it's gonna come off
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Gota64
United States of America

Post by Gota64 »

Sounds like sandblast and paint are the general recommendation here. The estimate for powder coat was about $400 following the sandblast.

That is why I asked as it was somewhat affordable for me at that price.

Thanks for your input.
Darrell
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I used a roll on bed liner material called Monstaliner. I just scuffed and used a wire brush. Any rusted areas I used chassis saver first. Then the bedliner material. I topcoated it with black paint after and it looks good still. Almost two years.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
SLICKCOLLECTOR
United States of America

Post by SLICKCOLLECTOR »

i like POR15. it is hard as a turtle shell. if your frame is clean it will not come off. i have also tried chasis saver but it not as good. thinner and cheaper but i went right back to POR15 after trying it. it will not come off your hands either so wear gloves. summit has it. around $50 a quart. it looks good when done . can be topcoated with paint if exposed to the sun.

jim
1966 F100 SW 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW 428 TL sold
1966 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1966 F100 LB RANGER 390 C6 sold finally
1965 F100 SW CVC 460PI C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1972 F100 RANGER XLT SW 428 C6 SOLD
1967 F100 SW CVC 521 C6
1967 F350 390 4 SPEED
1970 F350 428 4 SPEED
1974 F350 428 4 SPEED
1966 F100 523 STROKER C6 GEARVENDORS OVERDRIVE finished
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I'm a big fan of powdercoating. I've been able to get several race car chassis blasted and coated for less than it cost to actually buy all the supplies for a paint job. If you are honest with yourself, the cost of sandpaper, primer, paint, thinner, etc.....way more expensive than powdercoat if you use anything but the cheapest paint available.

If they do a good job blasting, you won't have any problems. If they do a quick job you will get rust under the powdercoat, just like bad prep on a paint job.

The stuff is almost bulletproof if applied correctly. Won't chip easily, brake fluid doesn't bother it, basic heat doesn't bother it. It's basically like paint but tougher. You can actually polish and buff it to a very high shine if you want to take it a step farther. I even know a few guys that use it as a primer so they get all the hard to reach areas coated inside bodies on some high end builds. You shoot powder in the general area and it will coat all sides of the part. The powder is electrically/magnetically drawn towards the metal.

The drawbacks are it's harder to remove if you want to weld on the frame for any reason (race cars get a lot of damage so we got good at removing powdercoat). It's also hard to get into an area there 2 parts meet at a very small, tight angle. Something like the bellhousing mount crossmember to frame junction may be a bit harder to coat, or the diagonal braces at the front of the frame. Takes special care to get full coverage in these tighter areas where pieces interrupt the magnetic flow of the particles.

I plan to powder mine when it goes together for the final time. Plan to do the suspension, frame and a few other pieces with powder. I actually have some parts sitting at the powdercoaters right now! I've done frames, suspension parts, intakes, rearend housings, wheels and more. I use it whenever I can.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!